Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Harrison 3 row radiator in my 69 Chevelle. I believe it was originally for an Oldsmobile and not a Chevelle. The over flow port on my rad points directly towards the passenger fender. The correct position is to point towards the firewall. Wasn't a problem previously but I have a new battery which is a little taller than the Optima that was in it before and I also am now using a battery topper.
Is it a simple process for a radiator shop to change the orientation of the over flow tube or is the neck actually part of the passenger side tank?

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
I believe the neck is part of the tank. Perhaps they could remove the overflow, fill the hole and re-install in a proper location. Would take some decent skills, I would think.

·
Premium Member
12,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well maybe technically it is not the neck but the portion that one attaches the cap to. It appears when the cap is off that the brass from the tank is rolled up over the portion that one attaches the cap to which is also the piece with the overflow tube. I am hoping that is the case so it would be possible to reclock the portion with the tube.
Am I wrong about this? Here is a pic.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
if i were me i would just cut the nipple off and either plug it with a pipe plug or solder it shut and drill and solder a nipple on the opposite side.

·
Premium Member
12,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone knows for sure the correct orientation please say so. I have seen several. Should the overflow tube point.

1. Towards the junction of the passenger fender and the firewall (5 o'clock position)

2. Straight back towards the firewall. (6 o'clock position)

3. Slightly towards the drivers side (7 o'clock position)

This would be on a 69 three core Harrison.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts