Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a lot of discussion tonight about rear gear ratios and tranny choices, it even drifted in to compression and head issues.
Anyway, it got me to thinking(danger,danger!!), what ever happened to the bolt-on overdrive units? I know Chevy had one on C-10 p/u's with a small block and a three speed saginaw in the late '60's. Anybody still see these around? Would they adapt to a Muncie,B/W, or even the turbo 350/400's?
What about the aftermarket? There used to be an outfit that put out a unit with a reputation of durability. It was an electrically operated unit(like the Chevy O/D) that bolted in place of(?) the tailshaft. I saw one of these some years ago on an early-eighties F**d p/u that saw some rough towing duty. Anybody know the name of a manufacturer?
I REALLY like my Muncie and Hurst shifter, I suppose due to the nostalgia, and you GOTTA have the big gears for it to be right. It sure would be nice if there was an overdrive somewhere that would bolt in and allow for a little more versatality in cars running (more or less)period correct drivetrains.
Bryan

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i looked at em for the th350 i HAD in my 70 but the cost for just the od was $1300 i believe (just way the hell out there) not even an option for me so i want with the direct replacement 200-4r love that o/d

·
Registered
423 Posts
You guys will love this recommendation for your "muscle cars";

Go to the largest RV shop that is local and ask them about "Gearvenders" overdrive units.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just a note, Summit sells Gear Vendors. They have a floor model in their showroom. $2,195 for a TH400, $2,295 for a 350TH.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-540HP-560ft-lb
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Mercer, PA
sswinger.home.att.net/
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
If you'll recall, Baldwin-Motion cars had aftermarket OD units. I believe they were Hone-O-Drives.

Kurt

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
For us Muncie folks, forget about gear vendors. I spoke to them directly. Although they did a few prototypes for the Muncie, they never went into production becuase the unit would have been too long. They figured no one would want to cut out their floor behind the front seat, or up through the rear of the console on most Munice equiiped vehicles.

So anyway, for this manual shifting Rat head ( read high HP and Torque ), the only manual option I feel is valid is a Richmond 5 and 2.73/3.08 final drive. I stuck with an M20 and 3.55's.

Last I checked the units from GearVendors were $2200. Better than an OD tranny by far since a T400 becomes a 6 speed. But like anything that's too cool, mucho dienero. Apparently pretty buletproof since some racers use them.

The Hone-O-Drive is the only otption for Muncie equipped cars and they're quite rare. Some COPOs had them. Again, cost leads back to a 3.20 1st equipped-Richmond and 2.73 posi.

For lower HP apps, and non-restos all the new 5/6 speeds ( Tremec et al) are viable options.

One thing I did discover is my questioning why the M21/M22 are so popular. A 2.20 first gear is lousy for the street unless you're road racing or running 4.11s and up for acceleration. Anemic 1/2 with my 21, which is why a 20 is going in. Option 2 is an ST10 with a 2.88 1st. Then 3.55's or 3.31's are OK, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-18-99).]

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
You guys are probably tired of me posting this, but one more time. I have a 76 Cutlass with a 455, Richmond 5sp and 2.41 posi. This really is the way to go. The 1st gear is 3.27, 5th is 1:1 and it's about like a Chevelle with a 3.70 and a M-20 wide ratio Muncie for leaving from a stop. If I had gears that needed an OD for the hiway, I think I would go with a 6sp Richmond.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'm not the first to wonder about this... Thanks for the posts, guess I'll stick with what I've got. The Hone-o-drives sound interesting though. Might be a neat resto-racer type option.
Bryan

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.