Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen alot of posts asking whats the best heads
My question is what is defferent between the oval and square heads. I'm not realy up on the motor stuff and was just wandering, I would think if you had both sets of heads with the same intake & exhaust valves that they would produce the same effects in HP/Torque?

#2 While I'm opening my mouth here can you tell which type you have with the exhaust manifold off??

Thanks for any comments

Tom

------------------
Tom
Southern,IL
67SS Yellow right now:(
Member #409

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Mad,
Yep, you can tell with the intake off. Round vs square refers to the intake ports. Round or also known oval ports are just that; oval shaped intake runner openings. Square port also known as rectangular port are large rectangular shaped intake ports. Much bigger than the ovals. No mistaking them. They both come with different size valves, but ther is more than that to determine HP. You have to tak into consideration open chamber vs closed chamber, chamber volume...

JR 1970 SS 454

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mad> Oval ports are good for street on 454 and less inches. These make killer low end torque, and are good to at least 600hp. and 6500rpm's. The square ports are great for racing. They work great on the 502's on the street. On 396,427,454 engines, and on the street, they make very little torque below 3000rpm's. They are great for very high rpm's as in racing, and will flow ALOT of air.
Rick
'68 SS 427
'66 Yenko
The port runner volume sizes (c.c.'s) are the key to how much power they make, and at what rpm that it is made at.

[This message has been edited by YenkoYS100 (edited 02-13-2000).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.