Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who was the manufacturer for the original weatherstripping for our Chevelles? Are they still in business or under a new name? Did someone buy out GM's molds? I know there are several aftermarket businesses, but it sure would be nice to have material manufactured by the real deal. For that matter it would be nice to know who the original sub-contractors were for all the components; dashes,chrome strips, steering wheels, brackets,etc. Is any of this information available to the general public? Surely some of these companies must be in business still. The aftermarket business is huge, but not always desirable.

[This message has been edited by Paul Lower SoCal (edited 10-26-98).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't really answer your question, but you're on the right track looking for original stripping. I spent a couple hundred dollars on the Sof-Seal product and couldn't get the doors shut afterwards. The aftermarket stripping was hard, thick in the wrong places and left gaps in others. Pretty poor stuff, in my opinion. I'm looking for factory parts from now on. tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am just getting ready to order a complete kit for my 69. For the aftermarket does any one have any suggestions on what brands to use or brand. Maybe a combination of brands.I know I will be ordering my fuzzies from TED WILLIAMS chevelle parts, they carry Metro.They said they just switched from sof-seal to Metro, said sof seal was too hard. Any one used Metro?? Has any one found Original GM?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try Metro weatherstripping and compare to Soft-seal. No contest, you'll want Metro too, but they need to have more inventory in stock and ready for delivery. If you buy retail, Hinshaws carries it now. It's a lot softer and supple than Soft-seal. I believe that Steele Rubber Products produced some of the original GM weatherstripping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.