Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tach was never hooked up before in my Chevelle SS however I just bought a new wiring harness and I would like to know could of this been the problem? Also what wire on the harness works the tach andgoes into the distributor.
I never saw a wire go into the distributor on this car?

------------------
1972 Chevy Chevelle SS
1987 GTA
1998 Camaro SS (Y2Y)
1978 Pontiac TransAm
1972 Chevelle SS

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Which harness is new, dash or engine? The tach wire is brown. It connects to the – side of the coil along with the black wire that connects to the dist/points (stock points type dist). If the engine harness is not a gauge dash harness, it won't have the tach wire.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have the same situation. A New Dash Harness and I see the brown wire. My problem is I have a HEI Distributor.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hey guys,

On the left side of the HEI Dist where the electrical conections go is a terminal for tach hook-up. Should be a spade type terminal. Pull the dist cap off flip it over and take a look. Should be towards the back.

------------------
FastSS396Man
Brian

Fastss396, Fastss396,Fastss396,
Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new wiring harness is for the engine compartment. I now understand where the wire goes, however I just installed the pertronix system in the car,will that make it more difficult to place the tach wire inside the distributor?
All Help is appreciated

------------------
1972 Chevy Chevelle SS
1987 GTA
1998 Camaro SS (Y2Y)
1978 Pontiac TransAm
1972 Chevelle SS

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I’m guessing you have the Flame-Thrower HEI dist. It appears to be a direct drop in replacement for a GM HEI dist. If so the tach connection is next to the power feed connection. Should be marked TACH on the cap. You will need to remove the ring lug from the brown wire and replace it with the correct female connector. You can use a standard female spade terminal for the connection but the factory type is better because it’s held in place. The factory connector may be available at your local GM parts dept.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Thanks Elree Colby & fastss396man.

------------------
70 SS396 Chevelle My 70 SS396
------------------
2000 WS6 Trans Am
ASC #7894 My 2000 WS6 Trans Am

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pertronix system keeps everything stock over it just replaces the points on the car and converts this to a electronic system and it only takes about 10 minutes to do.. However will this have any effect in installing the factory brown wire for the tach?

------------------
1972 Chevy Chevelle SS
1987 GTA
1998 Camaro SS (Y2Y)
1978 Pontiac TransAm
1972 Chevelle SS

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Either Ignitor or Ignitor II use the stock type coil. In this case the tach will connect to the - (negitive) side of the coil. Same as the stock dist.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your asssitance..... To bad I will not make it to the CHevellabration this year however I am planning on it next year.....

------------------
1972 Chevy Chevelle SS
1987 GTA
1998 Camaro SS (Y2Y)
1978 Pontiac TransAm
1972 Chevelle SS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts