Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now getting to the uhpolstery on my chevelle restoration. My seats have the original seat covers. The only worn area is on the piping (round bead at the seat edge). I would really like to keep the original seat covers.

Do you think its possible to have an uhpolstery shop dis assemble and reassemble the original covers with new piping?

Ed

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's a delicate repair... and potentially, a few hours worth of work. They''ll have to remove it, that may/may not cause a problem with the foam. Once the seat cover is off, they will have to cut the stitching, removing the lower/side and front panel from the piping and the seat section. Then, they'll sew a new welting (the cord piece), sew that to the seat and then the panel gets sewed back in. This is all contingent upon everything going smoothly!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Drew is right..it is not an easy repair, but can be done if the upholstery shop is willing and worth their weight.
New welting, that matches your original, can be purchased through a jobber.
The major concern is what shape the viynl/ or cloth is in. Over time it tends to become brittle or rotten...then the job may not be feasable.
Another thought would be to try and get ahold of a good vinyl repair shop. Some uph. shops do this and, if they are good, it can look as good as new.
You should be able to request a look at some work that they have done in the past, to get an idea to the quality of workmanship.
Good Luck,
7T2SS

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seats have been stored inside for 10 to 15 years. The vinyl seems supple and flexible. The damaged areas where the welting is damaged is where the driver had slid over the welting while gettinf in and out of the car. One is in the seat back edge and the other is beside the weave pattern on the seat cushion. I'm guessing the seat back will be the most difficult since the welt separates the center section from the sides and back.

I'm up to recovering the seats myself. I've done this before, but the original covers are just too nice.

Any ideas on how I could cover and camouflage the worn areas? The cord is not showing yet. the interior is black buckets.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Ed

I see you're back at it. That's great!!

Despite their name, Just Dashes is re-doing a headrest for me -- replacing the vinyl with new that will match the rest of the Ivory interior.

Micky arranged for it.

It's not cheap, but in my case, getting Ivory anything is a real problem. They're not re-poped by anyone, even if I wanted that.

Not sure if they could help you, or not, but they might be able to recommend someone.

Happy New Year!

Andy

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've NEVER seen repro covers that I couldn't pick out, not even when they're well fitted. It just seems that the details aren't quite the same, not sure if they aren't pressing them as hard or what.

I'm going to get mine repaired, and it's worse than yours (need one panel). I figure they've survived 30+ years so far...

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
The repro vinyl seems to be thinner and weaker. I've owned new ones back in the day and the vinyl was much thicker and tougher. Too bad they can't make the repros out of the same stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once I got the seats to the upholstery shop, they found the covers had been replaced at some point. The material was very close to original with the pronunced rolls at the seams vs. the flat patterned reproductions. The only gamble here is I haven't seen auto upholstery he has done. He quoted to replace the worn areas and bolster both buckets seat foam. All this for $85.00. I figured I should take the chance, at this price.

If things don't turn out well, I can do it myself with the not so accurate reproductions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's true that the vinyl the repo guys are using now is not as good as the original, as it is mostly imported vinyl. It is not as wareable as the original.
Even good old "Naughahyde" is not what it used to be years ago.
Upholsterers have access to quality vinyls so it pays to ask around.
But I doubt if anything is as good as the originals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts