Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
i bought two from them. I had issues with the door gaps and i had to massage the trunk lid, but they fit. the one thing i learned for the second was to vise grip the whole quarter in place, and then to start the tack welds at the door (with the gap perfect).

by the way, the box said golden legion, who as far as ive been told does the sheet metal for goodmark and dynacorn also.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I had horrible luck with Dynacorn quarters for my 69... We had to do so much work to make them fit. We're not happy with the car and recently ordered a set from Goodmark. Next winter the car will be coming apart again.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Yep, they are golden legion panels. thats where I got mine. Mine fit fine except for drivers side quarter at the door need a little extra attention, as well as the trunk area. Must be a common problem. Not sure, but otherwise they look really damn good for the money.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nothing fits like GM but NOS parts are getting hard to come by,I was able to find NOS quarters for my L78 Chevelle SS and they are 1st stamping GM and they fit perfect maybe a little tweak,the after market parts need to prefit with every part on the car bumpers, trunk,etc.Its rare that we use AM parts in my shop but sometimes its all thats out there.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
I had horrible luck with Dynacorn quarters for my 69... We had to do so much work to make them fit. We're not happy with the car and recently ordered a set from Goodmark. Next winter the car will be coming apart again.
I had 3 different reps tell me that goodmark is the exact same as golden liegion & dynacorn......just repackaged.You may want to check into it a little before you start over. I have gone thru 2 hoods and they both were in bad shape. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I put GM rear 1/4's on a 70 back in the 80's, the left side was still available. They were under $300. I learned the hard way also to make sure the door gap is perfect before continuing the installation. I had to add a slight bit of filler to make it perfect. I hope these goodmark panels are good because I may need one.
I have a friend that bought a goodmark patch panel for a firebird and the metal was very soft and bendable. Are the full 1/4's that way also?
Dave

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just so you guys know the 70-72 chevelle GM tooling goodmark quarters have been discontinued because goodmark did not want to pay GM anymore for the dies.These quarters were stamped in detroit by a stamping company on the original tooling.The quarters I had were in a goodmark box and said made in usa.The golden legion ones are stamped overseas and are not the same panel.If you can still find the gm tooling ones buy them,they fit perfect,I have done 10 sets of them over the years and compared fit to nos and it is hard to tell the difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased a pair of full rear quarters from OPGI for my 69 Chevelle and they were in a Golden Legion box. Overall, they are good pieces, but I am having some issues with door and truck gaps. I am not an experienced body man, but I could see no other possible way to get better results than the pictures I am posting here, in order to get the gaps closer and still have all the different areas to line up. Another team member (I can't remember his name) posted the picture that shows the MSD box in it and he said he took "a 1" by 1/8 thick steel bar & cut and bent the steel so it contoured to the quarter and door. Then he ground its thickness to retain a 3/16 door gap, then spot welded the steel onto the quarter. He then used lead to finished it off instead of plastic filler." I am looking to follow his lead, but I would love any real detailed suggestions of any other plan of attack. I'm guessing you have to factor the door & quarter window adjustments and weatherstripping in and have the front fenders on to see how close you can come before adding metal. If I can get past this point I am ready to start stripping, priming and blocking out. We'd love to hear from those who have gone through this, because I feel many more are going to experience the same thing with these aftermarket panels.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
This place www.classicpartstore.com bought all the remaining stock that Goodmark had on hand when they lost their GM licensing agreement. I just purchased a set of convertible quarters from them yesterday. They are also very reasonable on their price compared to other Goodmark pricing I've seen. My convertible quarters were $599 each. That is at least a couple hundred, if not more, less than what most other dealers where charging for them.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
Back in 1998 We had new GM quarters installed on our Chevelle. They were excellent. We had new aftermarket fenders put on our '69 el Camino lately and they are a bit of a night mare. I e-mailed GM USA and GM Canada and basically got the brush off by the two women who returned my e-mails. All GM has to do is pull their licensing on some of these shoddy manufacturers and we might begin to see a change. Let GM know how you feel. Enough flack might get results, if GM actually cares about quality.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
We put Dynacorn 1/4 panels on my 69 and it was a nightmare, we are still not happy with the end result and contemplating putting Goodmark panels on.

I have a couple questions for you ~

Are your new 1/4 panels flush with the end of the rocker panel in the front of the wheelwell? If they are good, next question is are your doors flush with the front edge of the rocker panel? If they are you are going to have to put filler pieces in the gaps.

The trunk gap may be a little wide, but it looks even. If you are talking about the body line on the trunk lid to the 1/4 panel, they don't line up. Put your extension on and see how that fits. There is no body line on the extension to line up with the trunk lid either. These trunk lids were used on many 68-72 GM cars and they just made them work. The body lines just don't line up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm assuming Circletrack is addressing Nozhol. Yes, the quarters line up very well with the rockers in wheelwells. The front edge of the doors are actually about an 1/8" towards the rear of the car (wrong direction) from the front of the rockers. The trunk photos don't show very well that the gap widens gradually as you move from the rear window to the tailight housings. So, they are a little wide and not the same all the way along. Could you clarify which body line you were referring to before that doesn't line up? I added a couple more photos of trunk area with the tailight extentions on for you to look at. Any others suggestions on how to add the metal, assuming I need to do so?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Here's some pics from my quarter panels ~ 6" from the back edge there is a body line going from one quarter to the other on the trunk lid. That body line does not line up to any other body line. As far as your gaps getting wider, I had the same problem but it was worse than yours. I found that the quarter panel was not bent at the right angle where the deck filler piece meets the quarter. I had to modify the quarter panel as in slicing and rewelding. Another thing to watch out for is your rear window trim might not fit right with these quarter panels. Make sure to test fit your back window also. We found out the hard way. We had to extensively modify the trunk lid to make it fit as good as it does now. From the pictures you can see why we're not satisfied.

The car is in storage in our basement ~ so forgive all the dirt you see in the pics!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
if im reading this right, then i guess my front fenders fit better than i thought. is the front of the door really supposed to line up with the rocker? if it did, that would put a 3/16 gap between the rocker and the fender and i dont think that would look right.

before you tear your quarter off, line up your door PERFECT. when you put your new quarter on there will be no quessing involved as to whether your door is sligtly misaligned or not

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Tim is right, the door should be back a ways from the front edge of the rocker. The more we talk about this there's bound to be some misunderstanding, I thought if his door was flush that would explain the large gap to the quarter panel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just finished putting 90 percent dynacorn panels on my 66 convertible. Some things to try:

-wheel well lip to outer wheel well fit. If one flange is bent up or down, it will hold the quarter from going into alignment. I swore the trunk contour on my quarter was wrong until I discovered that the wheel well lip was holding the quarter down.

-Body mounts. Check both the rubber part and the metal part of the body. If the back of the body is drooping or poorly supported it can make the door gap wide. Bodies can be flexible.

-Use ratchet straps etc to help hold/pull quarter into position.

-Measure trunk opening etc on original quarters and write dimensions ont car for future reference.

-Align doors and trunk lid to old panels before they are removed.
Hope this helps some

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
This place www.classicpartstore.com bought all the remaining stock that Goodmark had on hand when they lost their GM licensing agreement. I just purchased a set of convertible quarters from them yesterday. They are also very reasonable on their price compared to other Goodmark pricing I've seen. My convertible quarters were $599 each. That is at least a couple hundred, if not more, less than what most other dealers where charging for them.
I ordered my Goodmark quarters on Friday and they arrived today. Not bad considering they had to be shipped half-way across the country!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts