Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating over two ideas for redoing my interior, and I'd just like to get some input as to what you guys think would be the better choice. I'd like to replace my bench with factory buckets, and get a console with a floor shift, and swap in an SS dash for a clean original appearance. But I've also been thinking about getting the whole interior in custom tweed with aftermarket accesories like a Dakota Digits gauge face, Hurst Pro Comp floor shift, and aftermarket seats with 5 point racing harnesses. What do you think, should I stick with the original muscle car look or go for the newer street rod look???? Thanks for your opinions!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
the interior on the car i just bought is compleatly after market .. but looks great.. i'll post a pic when i get a chance. i think unless your going for the restoration to showroom cond. you should just buy the stuff you like =) My .02

-Chris

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
There are two main points to consider. Do you want a restored look that will come from the original type of upholstery or will you want something different? Comfort is the second factor. There is no doubt that the original vinyl type of material is less comfortable than a cloth material. I have both in my cars and hot days with vinyl are not all that good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
72Elky, If you are going to do all of that, you are a richer man than I. I just redid the entire interior on my 71 Chevelle with a kit from OPG and it looks great, without too much damage to the billfold. Personally I like the buckets better, but a bench adds character, it fits the true muscle car ideal of going really fast and straight ahead.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JWagner-

Yeah man, I have black vinyl in mine, and no air conditioning, so when I get to my car after school, ITS BURNING UP INSIDE!!! I can actually see the heat coming off of the roof. So comfort is a big issue, which is why I'd like to put in an aftermarket interior. I just can't decide if I should stick with the original interior and deal with the 120 degree seats and take it like man!!! (as well as keep a clean original appearance), or if I should tweed it out. Anyone have any ideas as to how much this would cost???

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
Just went through my interior with year one covers and can't remember what that cost (honest). Last year I had a nice black cloth/vinyl job done front and rear on a Malibu at a local shop for $325 (cash price).
The seating areas are cloth and the sides are vinyl ;this included the head rests, too.
To do the elky would be a bit less, like $200-$250 maybe.

[This message has been edited by JWagner (edited 07-22-99).]

·
Registered
948 Posts
72Elky,
You probably made up your decision, but when I have the interior done it will be exactly like the original pattern only with cloth on the inside with vinyl or leather covering the outside of the seats. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
72Elky-
Some company out there(I think Ciadella) makes covers that fit original style seats with different inserts. A friend of mine has a 70 Elky that has a bench seat covered in black but it's vinyl on the outsides with velour on the seat bottoms and backs so you sit on velour but it has vinyl outers, it's stitched in the original pattern.
Just a Thought(I guess most people are saying stock with inserts though, but these are premade covers)
L8R

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 07-22-99).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Aftermarket fads come and go. Tweed interiors will be identified with late 90's interior redos. Same thing with paint jobs. Remember the early 80's lines painted on the lower front side of the car that usually go up to the rear? Remember the early 70's "street freak" gumbo fender wells craze? I can usually always tell w/ 5 years or so when an aftermarket gee whiz paint job or interior was done. Tweed is the hot thing now. Tommorrow it will be...? But you can rest assured it will not be tweed.
I chose to keep my vinyl bench seat and put my floor shifter back on the column. Original will always be kind of out of style but since it came from the factory I think it looks really cool. Yeah its ugly but to me its the ugliness that is cool. I think an Apache helicopter is ugly but it has its own character that just wouldn't look right if someone tried to change it.
Original factorywill always look great in a unique sort of way. I don't think the latest fads will in five more years.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys. Your all right, I should probably be true to my chevelle and keep it looking original. Yet I still want comfort so I'm going to try and look up that company you told me about Steve. But I think I still want that floor shift Michael, why be ugly when you can be cool and good looking????

·
Registered
287 Posts
Let me clarify... When I bought my car it had an aftermarket TCI floor shifter. Thats why I went to the original column shift. If my car had an original floor shifter w/ buckets I would've kept it that way. I know for a fact Ciadella can get you cloth inserts but they are almost twice as expensive as the all vinyl ones.

·
Registered
341 Posts
C.A.R.S makes the cloth seat covers (and they own Ciadella). Their number is 800-521-2194. The catalogue price is $179 for two buckets or one bench seat.Looks like you have a choice of five colors.Cool, eh?

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The number for Ciadella is 1800-528-1342. Michael is right about them being more $$$ but in my mind it's worht it. I would call for a free catalog then call Tom's number and get a catalog from CARS as well and decide whom you want to go with.(even though they're the same company, sometimes a different division of a co. offers different things)
Also forgot, no website but they have a free catalog.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hey 72Elky
I live in the DC area and I can recommend a guy that does some of the best custom interiors around. Just gimme a email and I can give you some more info, he's not cheap but you get what you pay for especially around here!!!

later
J.J. Fig

------------------
MCC member #256
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.