Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if they were all the same, but what was the most common.

im guessing Bright Blue, but there is also a Light Blue and 2tone Blue

anyone know? if anyone has pics that'd be great

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Don't know if bright blue or black was the most common but I don't think I've ever seen any of the other blues with the Marina blue. I have seen the other blue interiors with say Nantucket blue or white exteriors usually.

·
Premium Member
17,564 Posts
Most common? I'd say Black, then White and then Bright Blue... I personally have never seen the other Blue's with the Marina Blue exterior...

And I have virtually lived and breathed 66 Chevelles for 21+ years...

you looking for a new color combo for your car?

I have my Marina Blue convertible done in a "stock"/custom color combo...

I have the "factory" white interior, but I deviated somewhat...

I had the door panels special ordered (PUI, I think) in "all" white (stock or repro white interior had black on the bottom portion of the door panels).

I then added Medium Blue Carpet (closer match to exterior paint that the "Bright Blue" carpet). Again, stock white interior had black carpet.

I painted the tops of the doors, pillar posts and the dash/steering column with the same Marina Blue as the exterior (stock would be black with the white interior).

I also painted the kick panels and console in a matching off-white to match the seats and door panels, also painted the seat backs and bottoms (console and kick panels would be black in stock form).

Dash pad is Bright Blue, closely matching the dash/exterior paint.

I also have blue seat belts.

Mines a convertible, so I decided to change the top frame from off-white to Marina Blue for a nice change...

My interior looks completely stock, except for the color combo. All stock upholstery, stock "wood" stering wheel, hidden stereo, etc... Well, I do have two Autometer Phantom guages (white faced), but thats it...

I love it, because it looks stock, but no one has ever seen the color combo. Plus, at the time I started it, I was tired of "Black". Every other Chevelle I had had the black interior...

I also painted my engine compartment (firewall and inner fenders) with the body color (like Mopars) because I thought it looked much cleaner than "black"...

Let me know if you'd like to see any pictures... I have some, but no interior ones in my signature below...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, im tired of black too. for this car i wanted to add some color. i think im going to go with bright blue. im gonna check on that medium blue, what year was that from?

·
Premium Member
17,564 Posts
i think im going to go with bright blue. im gonna check on that medium blue, what year was that from?
Actually, I guess the color for the interior is "Bright Blue", but I had ordered "Bright Blue" carpet from OPGI years ago (8-9 years?).

A few years ago, I decided to get floor mats (carpeted to match), but the sales guy suggested I see the color chart...

The color chart showed several shades of blue, in actually carpet samples...

In BIG BOLD LETTERS, the sample card said "WARNING, DESPITE THE NAME, MEDIUM BLUE IS BRIGHTER THAN BRIGHT BLUE." (or something like that)... Anyway, the color carpet they called "Medium Blue" was a closer match to the Marina Blue exterior, and not to the dash mat, which I think is considered "Bright Blue."

So I reordered new carpet and put that in. I put off the floor mats, but unfortunately, I had already had the seat belts rewebbed by Snake Oyl, closely matching the previous carpet. Its not that different, but definitely noticable...

Of course, this was all several years ago (probably 5-6 years), so I don't know what they offer now...

My whole car is basically Bright Blue and White, even had many accessories and the rims powder coated white...

Word of advice, don't do the frame and suspension in White... Its a pain to try and keep clean (I gave up years ago) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can some of you guys post pics of different color combos to help me decide

Well i know i want the Marina Blue exterior

anyone got pics with a black, blue, white interiors?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, some pictures of your interior would be great, i really like what you did with yours. did u just paint the interior just as you would the outside? what paint did u use on the kick panels

·
Premium Member
17,564 Posts
I'll see if I have some good interior shots on my home computer. Otherwise, it might be the weekend until I can get some good shots...

Its been 8-9 years since I painted it, but I am pretty sure I used some "plastic" primer (SEM brand) for adhesion before I sprayed the interior "white" on the kick panels, but the paint itseft was ordinary automotive paint.

I brought in some of my "new" upholstery to the paint shop and had them match the "white" to those vinyl pieces... Used that to paint kick panels, console and seat pieces, thta way it would all match pretty closely...

Everything else painted blue (dash, pillars, door tops) was done using the same paint as the exterior... I thought the original exterior was BC/CC (and I sprayed 3 coats of clear on the exterior), but I don't recall spraying clearcoat on the jambs/interior stuff... So I guess it was single stage stuff... ( 9 years is a long time ago, and my brother helped me pick the products).

Obviously not as good, but i found a auto-store (Dupli-color?) touch up spray can that closely matches... While I don't use this for body touch ups, it has allowed me to easily paint many accessories to match... I guess a paint store can mix up an aerosol too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts