Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just surfing through Ebay tonight and noticed an original 69 "837" GM Alternator needing total rebuild, and maybe some other things, currently bid to $375 with a couple of days to go.

Would this be considered the going price these days as I may be looking for one down the road?

Appreciate it.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Don, for that kind of money, if "numbers" matter - I would just get some number stamps and renumber a coreect style case for your concours show only restoration.

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
*New* added Plum Mist '67 to collection

·
Registered
964 Posts
Depending on the dates,yes this is the normal rate today.One just sold last week for $430.00.And it needed a TOTAL rebuild.
These are the same alternators that the COPO,Z-28 and other Hi-perf Chevrolet engines used in late 60's early 70's.
I paid $200.00 for one needing a rebuild in 1998.
They are getting harder to find for the purist to restore.
It's just a number on a case,only if you have a 1000 point car would I recommend it.Otherwise go for a standard 834 Alt.37AMP for $20.00.

Bomber67
I wouldn't tell anyone to restamp any engine component nomore then I would tell them to falsify documentation.
There are a few of us in this hobby that recoginize properly numbered components,and don't need anymore bogus restamps to add to the confusion.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

[This message has been edited by mr70 (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rick, I tend to agree with you. I need to do some work on the alternator I've got and thought if I could find an original one I would redo it. It's not that important, especially at these prices - OUCH. An alternator being essentially a service part that needs replacing every so often is not as important to have correct as a more durable part, at least in my opinion. I guess I'll just get mine cleaned up and have the blade and pulley plated.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Rick, I also play in the Corvette hobby and I've seen the number stamping thing for a while - go to any major NCRS meet and I can guarantee you that many of the Gold certified cars are rife with restampings. The NCRS (which is far more detail oriented than just about any judging organization outside of Pebble Beach Concours) has finally settled the matter in a way that I feel is most equitable: the NCRS has officially decreed that quality (emphasis on quality) restampings on all the *details* shall incur NO deduction in points for show competition.

Truth be told, the number of genuine unmolested never raced or blown up factory hot rods are few - and those that have provenance (a provable paper trail of ownership and history that back up the "story behind the display") will always stand head and shoulders above those without provenance.

Really, I've got no problem with those who hold the metal in one alternator with greater sanctity over another - but it will still be a "replacement" part that was not originally on the car as delivered to the first owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.