Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1970 el camino custom 350 and it is equipped with the Body by Fisher seatbelts attached to the upper sail panel. I also have the retractable "male" buckles on the outboard sides of the bench seat and regular receiver "female" buckles on the inboard side of the bench seat. How do these 3 points all connect together to make a 3-way harness? I am really confused on how GM set up these seatbelts from the factory. I have Google searched and have come up with nothing. It seems almost all the muscle car 3 point belts are aftermarket retro-fit units. I am interested in seeing what a true factory shoulder belt setup looks like and what pieces are required to make it all work together. Preferably a 69-72 el camino setup.Thanks

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I own a 1970 el camino custom 350 and it is equipped with the Body by Fisher seatbelts attached to the upper sail panel. I also have the retractable "male" buckles on the outboard sides of the bench seat and regular receiver "female" buckles on the inboard side of the bench seat. How do these 3 points all connect together to make a 3-way harness? I am really confused on how GM set up these seatbelts from the factory. I have Google searched and have come up with nothing. It seems almost all the muscle car 3 point belts are aftermarket retro-fit units. I am interested in seeing what a true factory shoulder belt setup looks like and what pieces are required to make it all work together. Preferably a 69-72 el camino setup.Thanks
one buckle for the shoulder belt
one buckle for the lap belt,
the early units were not three way
only seperate two way:|
the bench seat model would also have only a lap belt for the middle passenger:thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hhhmmm, I am still very confused on the belt arrangement. Separate 2-way belts? How would the shoulder belt work if the inner seat buckle is female and the shoulder belt buckle is female also? I really need a picture to understand this.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
My 69 elco had that same setup as Vince described

Shoulder belt BUCKLE hanging in B pillar. You folded it up. No retract.

Then lap belt TONGUE was next to seat on floor.

I have bench so on seat was one Buckle for lap and Tongue for shoulder. Plus a set of seat belts for a middle passenger too.

FWIW I went with the Morris set up. Even had date code labels added.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
On my 69' The Lap and Shoulder "Outboard" belt straps are both Male with 2 Female Inboard belt straps for the Driver. On a bench seat the same set up for the passenger side with just another single set for the middle position. If there are Bucket seats then the setup again should be the same minus the center set. If you have a Female "Outboard" strap then I would assume it is incorrect and should not be there, and should be replaced with a Male strap. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does anyone have pics of this setup for a 69 El Camino?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
My 70 Elco has the female buckle on the shoulder belt. It also has the small bracket on the rear kick panel that the female shoulder belt buckle snaps into when not being used.
Male end is on the right side of the driver. The lap belt set has the female buckle on the right with the retractable male lap belt end on the left.
The assembly manual shows which belt goes where. When bolting down the belts on the driveshaft hump there is a sequence of how each which belt is stacked. Each belt bracket is bent to fit in this sequence to make the belts lie flat as possible when bolted down. Particularly important with a bench seat with three belt ends to bolt down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts