Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an unrestored 70 and I noticed unusual markings in the engine compartment and door jam.I bought this car off of who I believe to be the second owner,but I am not really sure.Aside from repainting the radiator panel,replacing the stickers and blueprinting the heads,nothing else was touched in the engine compartment.First thing there is looks like oo in red on the snorkel of the air cleaner(cowl induction).In the same color red is BI on the firewall by the distributer.There is a red blotch also near the distrib.Finally there is a roman numeral 2 painted in yellow on the jam of the drivers door above the VIN sticker.Chances are nobody knows what these markings are I only thought someone out there might have similar markings and maybe knew something I didn't.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Dean-
From what I get these are applied at the factory. I read about them last year in Super Chevy (it was in Chuck Hanson's section) I remember reading a Camaro club researched these for 67-69's(camaros) and have come out with diagrams and correct marking things to put them back on after a restoration. They might have mentioned Chevelles I'll look for the write up. If you would like I could type up that article and post it up here. I think the issue was like May of 98.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
501 Posts
There is problems with the factory paint markings, I know someone who restores Corvettes and there is a kit avalable to put the paint markings back on a car, in the kit it asks for people to record any paint markings that people notice when they disasemble the car and to send the company a diagram and colors of the paint markings. The theory for Corvettes is that the factory kept records of the cars when they were assembled and who was working on the assembly line that day and what paint codes were used. The paint dabs are supposed to be applied at certain times of assembly to verify a certain operation has been completed, I have also noticed they write with a grease pencil also. The problem with trying to find out what paint dabs were applied to an A body is they used so many different manufacturing plants and had so many different workers there might not be any rhime or reason to how the paint dabs were applied.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,
I would like it if you did post them!Thanks for your help!!

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Dean- Here's what I have found on my cars...My LS5 car had the engine code and trans RPO M40 on the firewall behind the distributor area, in grease pencil. Looked like....CRQ-M40
Actually, I believe the markings are on the raw steel of the firewall, then get painted over.
The LS6 I just bought has from what I can tell so far, the number 28 behind the dist. This would be the paint code. Looks like there was something under that, like the same as the LS5, but I'll have to get back to you on that. (The LS6 would be CRR-M40)
Both cars were built in Atlanta. Where was your car built?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,
My car was buit in Baltimore.Have you ever seen markings on the snorkel of the air cleaner?What about red paint blotches on the firewall?Mine has them.I will have to look closer for any codes written in black....

------------------
Dean Ciampi

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Dean-
I'll look for the mag, I will try to post the info tonight if not I'll get it for you on Sunday as I'm gonna be outta town tomorrow.

------------------
Steve
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
287 Posts
I found a similar situation as Dave B with my LS 6. The paint code was apparently written on the firewall above the master cylinder prior to being painted. You can tell the firewall paint did not stick well to the yellow grease pencil. I plan to duplicate this during the resto.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
My SS also has some codes applied in the engine compartment. On the lower middle firewall area right behind the engine are the codes "4880". This code is on my build sheet and is identified in box 1 as the JOB SEQUENCE NUMBER. Behind and slightly skewed up and to the right of the power brake booster looking at the car front to back is the code "15". This corresponds to my build sheet, box 9 - VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER". My VIN contains the numbers 151538 which my car was the 51,538th car down the line. I have applied these numbers during my restoration. Still need others, such as a rearend marking with the letter "P" designating a posi axle, 3 color stripes on the driveshaft which the build sheet identifies as PK-OR which I assume is Pink and Orange color bands (2 Pink, 1 orange?, 2 orange, 1 pink? - don't know combination or order), paint dabs on steering linkage, etc. Sounds like I am a detail nut, but for a original #'s matching car, I figure I would go all out in my 1st ground-up resto, show the car, and then eventually drive it more frequently, since it was designed to be driven and would be much more fun to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Dean-
It looks like others have found the same things! I'll be getting this info up today(within an hour) Father's Day Was reallly busy around here.
Here I am diggin through old Super Chevy's as I type.....It'll be here in a few!

------------------
Steve
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Allright Dean, now that you're probably thinking damn this has taken this kid long enough...here it is in its full glory:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>STAMPS OF APPROVAL
If you are one of those people who really scrutinize car features, or have been known to crawl around and under cars at a car show, then chances are you've seen all the strange markings on the firewalls and various chassis components of highly restored cars. Did you ever wonder how people were able to duplicate the factory markings so perfectly? Or, how they know what the colors were and where they were supposed to be applied? Perhaps you'd even like to add that final authenticating touch to your own restoration efforts.
Owners of early Camaros just had their lives made much easier with the release of an Underhood & Undercarriage Inspection/I.D Marking kit from the U.S. Camaro Club. Much research went into the formation of this kit, utilizing low-mileage, original Camaros as a bench mark. The kit comes complete with "P, T, and B" Rubber stamps and paint sticks for the firewall markings, as well as correct paints and an assortment of brushes to dab paint on the chassis components. Most importantly, however, the kit comes with a comprehensive instruction manual that explains what the marks mean, and where and how to apply them. This kit is a must for anyone embarking upon a serious early Camaro restoration. Limited information may also available for other Chevy muscle machines, too. For more information, or to join the club, contact the Camaro Club (P.O. Box 608167, Dept. SC, Orlando, FL 32860; 1(407)880-1967). ---"Resto Tip of the Month" Super Chevy Magazine October 1998<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hope it works out for you Dean!

Good Luck!

------------------
Steve
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Steve.I will check out the book.I wonder how much pertains to Chevelles though?

------------------
Dean Ciampi

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Dean-

I haven't found out anything about the red crayon markings.
Not sure how much stuff would interchange from Camaro to Chevelle. Plus, the kit that Steve D is talking about retails for almost $100!! I will be getting one for my '69 pace car, and I'll try to figure it out and let you know what I think (unless you want info really soon)
I don't think that too much applies as I'm sure there were differences between Chevelle plants let alone between F and A-body plants.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Dave-
Man that's one expensive kit! But, for a high dollar restro(a 69 Pace car no less!) I would be quick to invest in it.
Dean-
I didn't remember when I first posted if the article had mentioned other chevies or not.(I was pretty sure it mentioned Chevelles but after reading it I realized it was a, well we might have other info kinda thing) I'm not implying the Camaro and Chevelle paint dabs interchanged! I posted the article anyway so you could read it for yourself. I guess you could give em' a call and see what they have for Chevelles.
Have a great Day!
Just realized I may have come off as being mad, I'm just trying to clarify why I posted the info.

------------------
Steve
Team Chevelle Member #71

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 06-22-99).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.