Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the closest thing to the original battery for my 70 chevelle SS. Does anyone know roughly what battery was placed into these cars by the factory? I am pretty sure it was an AC Delco, but dunno how many cranking amps or anything, so. If anyone knows, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
70, most of the repro guys carry Delco-emy batteries and can set you up. You can try our sponsor, Ground Up, or YO. I think they're around $100.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I think the correct Delco R59 that is available from our sponsor is an excellent reproduction. It may be 61 ampress or 70 ampress. The side terminal Delco R79 debuted in '70 on the new Camaros & Firebirds; Chevelles & Montes began using then for '71 (perhaps only on big-blocks, can anybody help us out?)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
To answer Awesome's question the company that manufactures the reproduction batteries is New Castle Battery MFG. Co in New Castle, Pa. - Their phone number is If your original battery is a top post they list 2 batteries a R-59(550 amps) and a R-59HC(750 amps) and they list for $107 and $125 respectively. However some 70's came with side post batteries, which would be a R-89(875 amps) list $149. I bought a R-89 battery for my 71BB this year at Carlisle from them for $99 and the battery has performed flawlessly since it's been in there.

And in response to Cam's question the side post battery was available in 70 but didn't become Chevelle standard til 71. I have seen many restored 70's with both batteries and while judging the MCC show we consider either to be acceptable. This is just another case of they put in what they had... The only way to really tell what your car had is the ever elusive build sheet.

FIG

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Steve J- The R79W code is for the side post battery. The build sheet should also have listed in the options, "T60 HD BATTERY"
Is your car a 454? From my literature, the HD sidepost battery was standard with the LS5 and LS6 cars in '70
Dave

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
The side terminal HD battery was a mandatory option with the 70 SS454, it was not mandatory with the 396. It did not come with it,you had to pay extra. I remember in April of 70 when I ordered a SS454 LS5 that the dealer called me a week later telling me that the order would not go thru because I had not ordered the HD battery, which Chevy was telling him was mandatory. He wanted approval to add the extra cost.

·
Registered
446 Posts
At a car show- while showing a car- what can you guys tell me about the non-functional lightweight batteries that are made? They look like the orginal, but can be set in quickly at a show. who makes these? I saw one last year and you could carry it easy with one hand.

[This message has been edited by MoeMan (edited 06-18-99).]

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I don't know about a fake battery, but in the new Paddock catalog they have fake tops for the top post batterys. They lay over the top of a flat group 24 battery, and llok like a real R59! Hope they come out with something like that for the R79W side posts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.