Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought (last weekend) a '70 Chevelle Malibu from the original owner. I have her original registration slip, owners manual, protect-o-plate, etc, and the original license plates from 1970 are still on it.

I don't intend on leaving it original - tires, wheels, manifold, etc, etc.

But some friends say I ought to keep as much as possible, including keeping the original plates. I was thinking about getting vanity plates, but now I wonder... California has differnt color plates from different eras. The '70 plates were yellow letters on a blue field.

Any thoughts on this, or is really a don't care?

TIA

>>>Rod<<<

·
Registered
446 Posts
70 Chevelles are great- what is your setup/engine tranny combo? My 69 is the way it left the Fremont Plant (129,000 miles later) still runs strong and looks good. I get alot of positive comments about having an original car. Before you do a bunch of parts swapping, just remember,
"It's only original once."

PS- My California plates were black with the yellow letters, I can't remember when they changed to the blue plates.

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
Rod,
Quite honestly, I think the Malibu is kind of plain and in many cases, under powered. So I am not opposed to dressing it up a little and also boosting performance. I recently bought a 70 Malibu conv for my wife which had pwr & air, a 307, 3sp (changed to 4sp when I got it) and a 10bolt 3.08 non-posi rear. It still had the 3sp column with the shift knob on it and I changed it out with a floor shift column. Also, I added factory type cruise, replaced the 307 with a SB400, replaced the Saginaw 4sp with a Muncie, replaced the stock wide 2spoke steering wheel with the Chev optional 4spoke wheel, added a complete Cowl Induction hood system and this weekend I just installed a 12bolt 3.07 posi. When I built the 400, I installed an early Z-28 aluminum hi-rise intake and the finned aluminum valve covers and ceramic headers. When I bought the car it had fresh paint, a fresh reproduction interior and conv top and 7in Ralleys and white letters. Everything else was very original and I'm quite sure was what came on it in 1970. The most noticeable thing about the car was the new paint and wheels. Otherwise, it was mostly a stock looking Malibu. And now, the car is a completely different car because of just one change, the Cowl Induction hood I added! Just that one exterior change gave it a totally different personality. I sold the 307 and Saginaw 4sp as a unit (I don't care about matching anything except paint). With the new hood, 400, Muncie, cruise and posi, it looks good and runs super, and with the 3.07 and cruise I can go down the interstate, top down or up with cold air at 75mph in comfort. My whole point here is if YOU, not someone else, wants everything to stay original or you want to dress it up and boost performance/handling then do what YOU want. It's your car and money, make yourself happy. Did you buy the car to compare all the numbers on it or enjoy it. Some people who replace an original engine like to keep the original just in case, that's fine. The only thing I might do if I were you is to keep those early plates and ALL the paperwork. Also, you might pull the back seat (back and bottom)and look for the build sheet. If you find it, CAREFULLY smooth it out and preserve it in a plastic page sleeve (press it in a big book). I do have personalized plates on our "special" cars: 56 VETTE, 5SP-455 on the Cutlass and my wife's initials on the conv (excuse me, HER conv). Personalized plates are nice and so are early original plates.

One last thought, I do totally agree with MoeMan. It's only original once, but it's also your choice.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 06-04-99).]

·
Registered
446 Posts
And I totally agree with DZ- it is YOUR car-set it up they way you want to. But after 30 years there are less and less bone stock cars around. One thing that made me the proudest of my Malibu was at the NCOA show last year when someone kept coming and looking at my car very closely. Then he showed me what (minor) changes he had made to his car on the showfield after checking out mine. He walked away with Platinum in his class- Origonal Restored- I was very proud to shake his hand at the awards ceremony.
I figure that when the time comes and that fine 30 year old gets run down- then what a start I have to make one heck of a customized Chevelle- Custom built for the MoeMan

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am actually doing the opposite, when I bought my 70 Malibu it was all ripped apart getting ready to be transformed to an SS clone. I had to dig high and low to find lots of chrome mouldings etc...Not that I don't like real SS's, it is my dream to someday own a real one. But I wanted originality, so I'm putting it all back together slowly and put the original color back, get rid of the red paint and stripes. I'll will keep the power plant under the hood and make it an original sleeper
because it originally came with a six banger and a PG.
Anyway, moral of the story...Do what makes you happy. But if you do change it, keep everything, so if you decide to sell it someday the person buying can make their own choice as well and save them some time.

Have fun with it!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you plan on customizing the car thats fine just keep all the original parts.If you ever plan on selling the car chances are it would be worth more stock.I know I would pay more for an original car then someones used up hot rod.

------------------

Earth Mover

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am one for keeping a car like that stock but it is your car. I know that ecery hod rodder out there has a vision for their car and that should not be quashed! Good luck with your car, it will be the mmost fun that you have ever had!

Ps: If you decide to get rid of the balck and yellow license plates, you have a buyer for them right here. Seriously! email me if you do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.