Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pypes Race Pro 2 1/2" with X pipe and cheapie Summit full length headers. Hope its not too hard to get it situated! Should be a fun weekend. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'll be purchasing a system soon myself, keep us informed of fitment and performance. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Congrats!

I already had the Summit cheapie headers (installed those 3 years ago) and installed a Race Pro 3" x-pipe system last year. This is in a '70 with a BBC. Take your time and have fun installing it. You will be pleased.:thumbsup:

P.S. I ended up going with turndowns before the rear axle becasue I didn't have the patience to mess with the tailpipes. Just easier for me and also remember I have the 3", so tighter clearence all around.

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be purchasing a system soon myself, keep us informed of fitment and performance. Have fun.
Will do. I've been wanting to get this done for awhile.

Congrats!

I already had the Summit cheapie headers (installed those 3 years ago) and installed a Race Pro 3" x-pipe system last year. This is in a '70 with a BBC. Take your time and have fun installing it. You will be pleased.:thumbsup:

P.S. I ended up going with turndowns before the rear axle becasue I didn't have the patience to mess with the tailpipes. Just easier for me and also remember I have the 3", so tighter clearence all around.
I hope its not too loud. Went back and forth on the muffs all week. Listened to alot of YT vids. :) Right now it has a set of Flowmasters that turn down at the axle. Its too loud for me. Sounds like open headers a wot!

Did you paint the headers or just run them as is?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats!

how tight of a fit on those 3in ordering pypes with dumps on monday

·
Registered
7,577 Posts

I hope its not too loud. Went back and forth on the muffs all week. Listened to alot of YT vids. :) Right now it has a set of Flowmasters that turn down at the axle. Its too loud for me. Sounds like open headers a wot!

You really ought to paint them if you want them to look good for a while. Otherwise they'll rust and look pretty crummy.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I've never had a set of painted headers last very long but then I've never spent the time to do it right. If you're willing to spend the money, ceramic coating is the best way to guarantee a good looking finish. I just ordered a pypes street pro 2 1/2" system and received the SS collectors yesterday. If the rest of the system is as nice as those collectors I'll be very happy! Gotta borrow my bud's tig machine and do it up right.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

One thing your gonna notice with the race pro.....especially compared to a flowmaster is that "too loud" wont be much of a concern at idle or cruise. When you first fire it....I guarantee you think for a second they are too quiet idling. They burn in a bit and make some more noise, but yeah.....surprising how mellow idle and cruise is with these.

Wide open throttle....different story. Look out! FYI my race pro's are turned down right at the rear axle and mine still sounds modest at idle/cruise. WOT proably wont be as aggressive with yours if you go with tailpipes, but still expect them to really open up well and make some noise. Overall I think you're gonna like them. Although its loud under full throttle....its a very "high performance" kinda sound. Very pleasing without being uncapped loud.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You really ought to paint them if you want them to look good for a while. Otherwise they'll rust and look pretty crummy.
I was thinking about some of the Hi temp VHT paint. They have some at my local NAPA.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks nice and clean. I almost went for the Summit ceramic coated, figured I'd hold off for now. Eventually going to go for an LS swap of some sort.
I've never had a set of painted headers last very long but then I've never spent the time to do it right. If you're willing to spend the money, ceramic coating is the best way to guarantee a good looking finish. I just ordered a pypes street pro 2 1/2" system and received the SS collectors yesterday. If the rest of the system is as nice as those collectors I'll be very happy! Gotta borrow my bud's tig machine and do it up right.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing your gonna notice with the race pro.....especially compared to a flowmaster is that "too loud" wont be much of a concern at idle or cruise. When you first fire it....I guarantee you think for a second they are too quiet idling. They burn in a bit and make some more noise, but yeah.....surprising how mellow idle and cruise is with these.

Wide open throttle....different story. Look out! FYI my race pro's are turned down right at the rear axle and mine still sounds modest at idle/cruise. WOT proably wont be as aggressive with yours if you go with tailpipes, but still expect them to really open up well and make some noise. Overall I think you're gonna like them. Although its loud under full throttle....its a very "high performance" kinda sound. Very pleasing without being uncapped loud.
That's good to hear. The car is so loud with the current setup it's obnoxious! I don't mind it so much when hammering on it, but light throttle I'd rather have it quiet. They don't have any of that crackly glasspack type sound to them do they?

Tailpipes are the plan, hope they aren't too hard to fish in there.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'm very happy with my pypes full 3 inch kit with race pro's. I have the exhaust all the way out the back with their stainless tips. Really nice stuff! Install went well, everything fit in nice and snug with the 3 inch no problem!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
No its not like a glasspack. Matter of fact....my car had a small block with glass packs before I swapped in the big block and the race pros. The small block was mild. The big block is much healthier.....and quieter idling and cruising.

The bass/resonance isnt as pronounced as with a glasspack or flowmaster. And no....none of that weird crackle. Its more of a racey, tuned sound.

That's good to hear. The car is so loud with the current setup it's obnoxious! I don't mind it so much when hammering on it, but light throttle I'd rather have it quiet. They don't have any of that crackly glasspack type sound to them do they?

Tailpipes are the plan, hope they aren't too hard to fish in there.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm very happy with my pypes full 3 inch kit with race pro's. I have the exhaust all the way out the back with their stainless tips. Really nice stuff! Install went well, everything fit in nice and snug with the 3 inch no problem!
Cool, good to hear. I didnt get any tips yet, waiting to see how it looks.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No its not like a glasspack. Matter of fact....my car had a small block with glass packs before I swapped in the big block and the race pros. The small block was mild. The big block is much healthier.....and quieter idling and cruising.

The bass/resonance isnt as pronounced as with a glasspack or flowmaster. And no....none of that weird crackle. Its more of a racey, tuned sound.
Awesome, that's what I hoped to hear. I've listened to so many mufflers and exhaust setups the last few months.....next up is a cam/ intake swap. It never stops! :)

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts

Jerry
I don't think that is what they had in mind for bio hazard waste disposal.:D

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
See below.

x2... I really like the sound of the Race Pros. Nice and mellow at low speeds, but very noticable when at WOT.

I stripped off the basic shipping paint that coes on them and then just sprayed them down with some high temp paint (black) from the local auto parts store. Three years now and they still look good enough for me.

how tight of a fit on those 3in ordering pypes with dumps on monday
If I had taken the time to do it right, it probably would have been just fine (see stikman's post). I didn't want to do any measuring or cutting, and had issues with the pipes rubbing on a tire and didn't like the way they came out the back of the car. I just went with turndowns and really like it. Total personal preference deal... and patience.:)

They don't have any of that crackly glasspack type sound to them do they?
Nope, not at all. Mine has a nice burble on deceleration that I dig, but no crackly sound. Like Greg said, it's really best described as a performance sound, and I agree.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yeah, I spent a good night or two mocking the whole system up, then when everything was setup per pypes instructions started to make my cuts, and came out great! Borrowing the neighbors metal chop saw also made life a little easier.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See below.

x2... I really like the sound of the Race Pros. Nice and mellow at low speeds, but very noticable when at WOT.

I stripped off the basic shipping paint that coes on them and then just sprayed them down with some high temp paint (black) from the local auto parts store. Three years now and they still look good enough for me.

If I had taken the time to do it right, it probably would have been just fine (see stikman's post). I didn't want to do any measuring or cutting, and had issues with the pipes rubbing on a tire and didn't like the way they came out the back of the car. I just went with turndowns and really like it. Total personal preference deal... and patience.:)

Nope, not at all. Mine has a nice burble on deceleration that I dig, but no crackly sound. Like Greg said, it's really best described as a performance sound, and I agree.
Sounds like I will like them. Even when I was younger I didnt like the loud mufflers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts