Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 Chevelle malibu convertable I just picked up and hope to revive. The price was right and although the car looks like swiss cheese it came with full drive drain, all the trim pieces, and all the convertable top parts.
My question is what to do first. I have taken it apart and know i need to replace the floorboards from the toe kicks back to slope up to seat bottoms, inner and probably outer rockers, lower quarters on both side (probably just going to go up to mid body line even though wheel wells are ok), complete trunk pan. All of the supports for floor and trunk also need to be done. Oh and I have to put a new frame into it. I have a 69 A body rolling chassis that I have to box and stiffen to make it work. The currently installed frame someone did the same thing but really badly and its rotted.
I am worried if i try and take the body off it will fold. Do i just weld supports in first and change the frame? Or do i start with the rockers and floors and trunk first? Can quarters be done before or after trunk? I am great at looking at something and replicating it but i have several previous hack jobs that have rusted so i don't even know what it is supposed to look like. I got the chevy asssembly manual and the pics are horrible so i'm struggling to visualize what i need.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,915 Posts
I'm doing a convertible now. Make sure you cage the cab before cutting anything apart.
I did a full floor with rockers, saved me a bunch of time, then did the trunk (again 1 piece with braces), drop offs, then the wheel houses, and full quarters, tail panel, and deck filler.
Before doing any cutting of the quarters, make sure the doors are aligned with the original ones so you have a reference point.

Here is mine all cut apart...

·
Registered
431 Posts
i would start with the frame..if the one on it now is all rotted and tweaked i would get a known good one, put the body on it and brace it up before doing the pannels..also i would try and find a el camino frame and use the box sections off of it or shorten it IF a convirtible frame cant be found for a reasonable price. jmo

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Any chance you can email me any pics of your restoration? Mine isn't quite that bad but your pics definitely help me see how it all goes together. Where did you weld the interiour temp frame cage at the front? On the pillar?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts