Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this it probably a REALLY basic question, but after an afternoon under my El Camino, I'm stumped. I just got a new Engine harness and got everything connected but ONE wire. It is an orance wire with a female blade connectoron it and a rubber housing over that. The electrical diagram I have shows that it hooks to SOMETHING, but it doesn't say what or where. The orange lead separates from the harness right about where the tranny sensor wire (black) and the starter wires come out. I have looked everywhere I can think of that is within stretching distance of the wire, but I can't seem to find anything that it will connect to. I know I am going to feel stupid when I find out where this goes......

My original harness had this wire CLIPPED so I can't even determine from THAT...

Anyone have a clue you could pass on to me??

Happy Holidaze!

Rob
Houston, TX

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe it is your heater motor lead. Look at the heater motor and you will see a spade(male) for the female orange lead to plug on to. It is kind of hard to get to without the inner fenderwell being removed but it is possible. Just have to be a slight contortionist!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I believe its the Heater Blower (wo/AC). If you have AC, another connection is made around the big box on the firewall. I just folded back and taped it up on my '69. (The original on mine was also cut off and stuffed into the plastic tray on the firewall)

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. I have a purple wire connected to the blower motor in the A/C suitcase. That wire is hooked into a relay. In the same connector is an orange wire that is connected via a fuse case to a thick black wire which I THINK is the A/C Power feed. That black wire is connected to the horn relay. I have a decent diagram of the A/C system and I have all that attached correctly (hopefully!)

This wire (according to the diagram) is 14 gauge. It doesn't seem thick enough to drive anything like a motor. Where it separates from the harness leads me to believe it has something to do with the engine or the tranny. The harness has a bracket on it where it attaches to the back of the engine. Right above that, this orange wire comes out of the harness. It is about 14 inches or so long. The picture in the diagram shows it going to something that resembles a sensor, but not exactly, and it give no indication WHAT it is.... :p

I have the 1970 Chassis Manual, the Service Manual, a Chiltons and a Hayes and NONE of them say what the darned thing is!

OH WAIT! Could this be exactly what you guys were saying? The Blower motor wire? And because this Elky has A/C, the A/C harness has its own circuit for it?? Unless someone has another idea, I'm going with that until something doesn't work! :)
Hopefully I'll get to turn the key in it this weekend......

THANKS!

Rob

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like a non A/C blower wire to me also. The non A/C blower wire is a 14 gage orange wire. Tuck it back. It's not needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS everyone. I go with the non-A/C blower wire.

I'll be able to turn the key with a little more confidence now.... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts