Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss at work just picked up a 66 SS Chevelle. Aztec Bronze with kneeknocker tach, 4speed with console, gauge package, etc. Only has 43000 miles!

The car has what looks like the optional transistorized ignition. They are supposed to be very rare. Can the electronics be rebuilt in these? This item in question is located on the core support, on the opposite side of the voltage regulator.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

------------------
Scott Dunn
T.C. Member #678

G

·
Tell him to check out the corvette guys on this one. There is a guy out there that rebuilds the box and the distributor, it is different as well. Good luck on finding that puppy if it's not in the car.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Any electronics can be rebuilt. May have to use replacement parts inside but it can be done. It's a lot easier with a schematic which I don't have. Maybe someone has the information. Otherwise it needs to be "reversed engineered".
Add to what Wally said:
Try www.corvetteforum.com
Watch out, it can get wild there.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. He drove the car to work tonight, so we just went out to see what we could see.

The ignition module has a delco sticker that reads: Primary Amplifier Transistor Ignition for Magnetic Pulse. The "stock looking" coil states the same information. The distributor is a Tach Drive distributor. The factory wiring harness runs through the core support and between the wheel well and the fender and across the firewall to the distributor. Harness is in perfect condition.

The car has a 435 hp 427 from 69 Corvette, which might explain the Tach Drive distributor. The car runs GREAT! We were just wondering what happens if the module goes BOOM! Thanks again.

------------------
Scott Dunn
T.C. Member #678

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a new 1966 427-390 Corvette (wish I still had it)optioned with transistorized ignition. It had an "ignition pulse amplifier unit" mounted on the radiator bulkhead and a distributor with a mechanical tach pickup connection as you described. I also bought, and still have, a 1966 factory Chassis Service Manual for that year which covers Chevrolet, Chevelle, Chevette, and Corvette. Section 6y(Ignition Systems)has a complete description of the transistorized ignition system, including photos, wiring diagrams, and schematics of the module. It includes troubleshooting procedures. I never had to do it; but, from the description in the manual, it appears to be a fully serviceable unit. It even describes how to reassemble the unit with silicone grease for heat sink properties. If you can put your hands on a copy of this, I'm sure it will help. The same info is also in the 1971 Chassis Service Manual, which covers Chevrolet, Chevelle, Monte Carlo, Nova, Camaro, and Corvette. I missed the big block/4-speed so much that I recently bought 1971 Chevelle into which I recently installed a 454-ST10 and am enjoying very much. Thanks in large part to the help I have gotten from TC forums. Hope this info helps. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Bill Reams

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill, Thanks for the "heads up" on the manual. I think between him and me, that's the only manual that we DON'T have.

Nothing can replace Big Block Power. The boss "demonstrated" that last night when we got out of work!

------------------
Scott Dunn
T.C. Member #678

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.