Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone point me to a link that explains the list of options. I am trying to find out what B79, T93, Z49 really mean. Thanks guys...

------------------
Ron Cook
'69 SS 300 Deluxe HT
(Bow Tied's 2¢ worth.)

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Hey Ron, are you referring to 1969?

If you are I don't see any of those options listed for that year according to Chuck's 69 option list in the latest edition of
Chevelle World.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh! I forgot to put the year, yes - 1969, thanks Don!

My Canadian VVS (GM documentation) lists such options for my car as:
T93 Lamp and Tail Stop (Special)
Z49 Canadian Equipment

What does these options consist of?
thanx all...

------------------
Ron Cook
'69 SS 300 Deluxe HT
(Bow Tied's 2¢ worth.)

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Can someone please fill me in on what the heck "T93 Lamp and Tail Stop (Special)" is...sounds interesting

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I still don't know, but in an offline discussion with Don to review the GM documentation I received, we guess (Don's great suggestion) that these refer to some of the SS treatment option (eg T93 = SS style tail light bezels) that just happened to be listed outside of the Z25 SS designation for the possible reason that the Oshawa plant may have done things their own way...not certain - could be the 300Deulxe factor..?...

Anyone who could verify it - would be much appreciated....BTW this is in reference to a 69 HT 300Deluxe SS, L35. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
B79 - Ornamentation, Exterior, RR end. I found them in a GM parts publication. Not refernce to SS with any diffintions.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Nothing concrete, but remember that the SS396 pkg. came with a certain group of mouldings. In the case of Malibus with SS396 (Z25) there were deletions as to the standard Malibu mouldings. As for the 300 deluxe the rocker strip was deleted and the usual SS396 moldings were included. I know that the taillight lenses for '67s & '68s were different from Malibus & SS396s vs. the 300 & 300 deluxe, but I'm not so sure about the '69s. Geez, the grilles were the biggest difference externally besides the wipers. I guess I really can't explain the T93 code. According to GM convention, T & U codes corresponded to Electrical & Instrumentation, so maybe something different in the taillight operation is different (can't imagine what).
Z49 Canadian Spec is very common. It may just refer to the Canadian owner's manual & warranty book in the glove box, plus any shipping differences in accordance to local codes (i.e. gas 'em up, give 'em a charged battery).
B79 RR ornamentation sounds to me like just the upper & lower molding already included with the Malibu. Order the SS396 on a 300 deluxe and have them added as well. Hey, I'm not the guru. It probably is a flag to the Oshawa assembly line workers. Remember that the Z25 SS396 only had 903 instances in 1969 on the Oshawa assembly line and was a real exception to the usual production. For that matter I'd sure like to learn more about the SD396 Beaumonts for '69!

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited 03-29-2001).]

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cam: Thanks for the info...I am learning a lot about this as I didn't really know much about it before I got the GM package...I am not familiar with Z15, my docs show Z25 as the SS option..??..
It might make sense though, that these items may have been malibu items (not on a 300) that were added to the 300 to complete the SS look....
I am not familiar with the wiper difference you refer to, and I am only guessing the grille difference is the 'blacked out' treatment? Please re-comment if you have time Cam. Thanks!!!
Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey there Ron, as far as the wipers go, the regular SS396 cars had a wiper motor that recessed the wipers below the hood level, whereas the 300 models kept them up in the breeze. Does everyone agree on this?
Barry 300 Sedan

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Oops! I said Z15, but I really should have said Z25 for the SS396 option (Z15 was 1970 SS454 & '71 - '73 Chevelle SS). I will edit that.
Regarding the grille, well the Malibu series had a horizontal piece of chrome in the center. The center bar didn't stick out as far in order to mount the chrome (if I'm not mistaken).
I agree with Barry about the wipers. I can also add that hidden wipers were available at extra cost on the 300 deluxe. Pretty rarely specified as an option, though.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Just to clarify the wiper situation.

My understanding is the Malibu got the hideaway wipers and the 300 did not. Even the 300 with the SS option did not get them. However, as Cam has specified, the hideaway wipers were an option on the 300.

This is well laid out in the 69 Sales Brochure.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
In addition to the wiper difference, it's my understanding the grille was the only other exterior difference between Malibu based and 300 Deluxe based SS's in '69. Malibus had a center chrome trim piece and 300 Deluxes just had a painted bar in its place. Both had the blacked out treatment.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
According to my GM regular production options code list dated May 1999 these 3 RPO's became effective with 1976 models and run thru 2000 models. The parts publication I have dated 1983 and covering all Chevy models (less Vette and trucks) from 1965-75 does not list these options in the list.

You may never know what they were intended for since the current use for these options may well have not been what they were for you car in 1969. The content of options often changes to reflect current marketing and spec's.

Canada has different standards for safety items. It may be that there are similar as items placed on US sold cars but meeting Canadian Spec's.

Just a SWAG on that though, no real facts to support, just experience.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,798 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von:
In addition to the wiper difference, it's my understanding the grille was the only other exterior difference between Malibu based and 300 Deluxe based SS's in '69. Malibus had a center chrome trim piece and 300 Deluxes just had a painted bar in its place. Both had the blacked out treatment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me add that the 300 grill's plastic horizontal center bar will not accept the chrome molding piece for a Malibu because it's as if they used one with the molding already attached for the mold and painted it silver to look like a chrome piece.
(It would be like stacking one chrome strip on top of another)

There were three different 69 grills = 300 , Malibu and SS and not very many SS cars that I've seen still have the original SS grill.
A lot of them have the Malibu grill but there is so little difference (same center bar sticks out just a little farther on the Malibu) i'ts not noticeable

Unfortunately mine has the 300 grill and I have two more of the "wrong ones" now and still looking

On the last one I bought, I asked the guy before I sent him the money "Does it have the chrome strip on the center horizontal bar"

His answer was "Yes, it even has the Blue bowtie on it"
Knowing that if it had the chrome, it was what I needed, I sent the money

what I got was another 300 grill

Shipped along with it was a center bar that had been cut/broken out of a malibu grill with a beat up piece of chrome intact
I guess he thought I meant I needed the chrome piece of which I have three NOS pieces now (but no grill to put them on)
An honest mistake, he just didn't know

As for the tail lights, the chrome on the 300 bezzels is not as wide as it is on the Malibu lights

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals

Don't point a finger - lend a hand

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Ok guys, from what you are saying, the 300 model with the SS option did not have the horizontal chrome molding in the center of the grill and was just painted silver?

Mine has the molding (I like it that way) and I wonder how many others out there have it added. How about it Von, Ron, Keith, Barry?

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

[This message has been edited by Don_lightfoot (edited 03-30-2001).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
Mine has the molding (not original) and probably is an original Malibu based SS grille. I also like mine that way. Thought about swapping for a 300 type painted center bar grille but not many people would know to appreciate it since it would look worse IMO. I think the 300 based SS's got the same tail light bezels as Malibus.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don, as you may have noticed from newand old photos I've sent out that there's been a couple of grills in my car, and it currently needs another. My present grill, however does have the trim piece. Actually this whole trim issue is something I wasn't aware of until today.

Barry TC#1101

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gosh, I just love having access to this website - what a wealth of info...

My car may not be one to reference too closely as I am sure it has been changed numerous times. However the rear light bezels appear original as they are pitted/poor condition - and they are the wide style with the black added. There is also equal condition horizontal trim pieces below the trunk lid.
Upfront, the grille has the center chrome strip (I think) but is most likely a replacement. I also do not have the chrome trim front parking light lenses.
Interestingly enough, my option sheet doesn't indicate hide-away wipers, but it seems to have them.

To add another question: Rear window defog blower - is that part of the Canadian equipment option or is its own RPO? Thanks all.
Ron

·
Gold Founding Member
63,798 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don_lightfoot:
Ok guys, from what you are saying, the 300 model with the SS option did not have the horizontal chrome molding in the center of the grill and was just painted silver?

Mine has the molding (I like it that way) and I wonder how many others out there have it added. How about it Von, Ron, Keith, Barry?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I'm wondering if there was a difference between the 300 and the 300 Deluxe

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals

Don't point a finger - lend a hand

1 - 20 of 21 Posts