Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 and I would like to know what the optimal backspacing to get is. I am going to be getting 15x8's in the rear and 15'7 in the front. I have been told to get 3.5 backspace and then told to get 4.75 and 5. I have no clue what to get can anyone help.

I have 13 inches from my qarter panel to inner fender. From the hub surface to inner fender is 6/3/4 inches and from the hub surface to outer fender is 6 inches.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
On the rears, I would go with a 4.5" Backspacing. and up front with 15x7"s, 4" is a good BS and will causer no rubbing with a normal (I hate that word) size tire.
On a 67, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with the 8" wheel I believe the largest size tire to go with is a 275/60.
That worked well on a 66 that I had.

------------------
Triple Black 69 SS 396
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1233564&a=9105086&p=37274567&f=0

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
On my 66, I run 15X7 with BFG 265/50-15 in front and 15X8 with 295/50-15 (no fender rolling or cutting) and the car was about 5+ inches lower than stock. This is with the stock 66 12-bolt and with 1972 Chevelle disc brakes up front. I am not sure of the exact backspacing off hand, but I am going to bleed the brakes tonight, so I can measure the wheels.

As for your combo, you want the rear rim centered in the wheel well for optimal clearance. So there is 3/4 inch more on the inside. With an 8 inch rim, 4 inch backspacing would be centered, which would mean 3/8 inch more backspacing...

I think thats how it goes... so something like 4 3/8 (4 1/2 or 4 1/4 )...

I am not implying this is correct, but sounds good to me...

Once again, I have a 295/50 out back, WITHOUT modifying the lip, even run the factory molding...
and I think the front are about 4+ inch back spacing. Corvette style rally wheels, custom offset rears...

------------------
Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
693 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Tony, what brand of 295/50 do you have? I've found in that size, that BFG's are the widest and bigger all the way around. Goodyears are smaller and less tread width and Firestone's, which is what I have, are the smallest 295/50's and fit in my stock 69 wheelwells as well. However, bolting on a friends set of BFG's and a 4" BS had a major rub problem. I tried on his wheels&tires to see what would fit. Aren't 66 wheel wells smaller than a 69?

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
My 295s are BFGs. I ordered the wheels with a custom offset, of course I goofed, so I had to run spacers (it was rubbing on the inside). If I measured correctly, the backspacing should be between 4 3/4 and 5 inch (its actually more, but I took into account the spacer).

It is very tight on the inside, but the outer lip is not rolled, and also has the stock wheel opening moulding, and there some clearance there too (1/2 inch+), so probably something like 4 3/4 would work best. I do run Poly bushings out back, which I think help to keep the rear located better during cornering than the rubber bushings (too much deflection.

I tried to measure tham last night, but I was rushing, and I only had a piece of round stock to use as a straight edge, and IU forgot those measurements at home...

I am going to try to get some photos this weekend, I'll try to get both inside and outside, along with better measurements...

I have heard that the 68 and 69 wheel wells were larger, but I've never checked...

------------------
Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 06-08-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.