Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 chevelle ss with a 396, m20 255/60r15 tires, and 3.42 gears. The m20 is leaking from the front and from what I read on here its a known problem and there is no easy fix for it. Which tko should I go with, I'm leaning to the road race tko600 with the .82 OD because it seems it would work better with my gears and tire combo. I think the tko500 has to much gear for first. The other tko's have a .6 something OD and I think it would drop my rpms to much and be worthless untill I'm at around 60. Just looking for opinions because this is alot of money to spend and I want to do it right the first time with no regrets. Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just did mine - '69, TKO 600 ( .64OD ), 3:73's & 28" tire. Your probably right with the RR version of the 600. At 60mph I am only turning around 1850rpms. The TKO 600RR would be a good fit with your rear gears unless you have a torque monster in there :D

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
What is your email? I will send you this great spreadsheet that you can select tires, gears, and trans and it calculates redline speeds and rpms at 5 mph increments. I got it from a guy on here, its awesome. Anyone that wants it just send me your email. Ill post his name up when I get a chance so he gets some credit.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
What is your email? I will send you this great spreadsheet that you can select tires, gears, and trans and it calculates redline speeds and rpms at 5 mph increments. I got it from a guy on here, its awesome. Anyone that wants it just send me your email. Ill post his name up when I get a chance so he gets some credit.
I hear the guy that made that sheet ain't too smart... ;)

Your very delima is close to my heart. I am saving for a tko too and also have a L35/M20. I agree with the thought of the tko500 being too step on the first gear for you. It would work well with a 3.07.

I am debating between 3.42s and 3.55s for myself, I also run a 26" tire. I am leaning toward the 3.55s for the same reasons you mention about too low rpms on the highway, BUT: I think that comes down to 2 things: your driving style/preferences and your cam. A mild 396 should be able to put down, what, around 400ft.lbs stockish? I think this is lots for the .64OD unless your driving preference is too get into OD at 50mph. But who drives 50? Around here the slowest people drive is 55, with the average being 60, faster on freeways. The times you have to drive 45-55 on the highway, use 4th - no different than you have now! The .64 though will give you more room to do 75+ on the freeway if desired. The caveat may be an aggresive performance cam may not be happy 55-60ish in OD with the .64.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well everybody has made valid points so far and thanks for the email Brett. My 396 is just a little better then mild and with the 280/288 UDHarold grind it doesnt start to really smooth out untill around 1500 rpm's. The fastest speed limit around here is 65 and then theres 60, 55 and 50, so the fastest I would go is 70 and the rr puts my rpms at about 2400. I'm still kind of leaning towards the tko600 rr but maybe a few more people with experience on this will have some input. Thanks, Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts