Votes: 27 65.9%
  • No- other suggestions- please post

Votes: 1 2.4%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, as some of you may know, I've been trying to figure out some ideas to do some stripes on my El Camino. Before i had just the normal SS style stripes, now that its painted it is all just black. I want to do something to break up all of the black paint a bit, and I really like the look of the two factory 1970 SS stripes, but, it seems like almost every 70-72 Chevelle/ El Camino has them now.

So here's a new thing I was just thinking about, a guy that I know has some great deals on vinyl for doing vehicle wrapping, and can get me some pretty good deals on simulated "carbon fiber" wrap,

here it is on the roof of a car:

I was thinking about doing that simulated carbon fiber vinyl wrap, in the basic shape of the original SS stripes on the hood.

I am trying to make my car classic, but modern-ish. I am adding modern power bucket seats, custom console I will build myself, as well as a nice modern audio system. The carbon fiber on the good would also be matched to the same wrapping on the console I will build as well as some pieces on the dash.

I'm thinking that stripes done out of that carbon fiber looking stuff would give it that unique look, without being outrageous, and make ti stand out from some of the other 70-72's out there.

What do you guys think.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
I don't like it at all. I'm not coming from a purist perspective when I say this either. It won't look right. :noway: It is too much of a clash to me I guess.

Is your elky staying flat black? What about stripes in similar shade of gray or gunmetal or charcoal...painted flat too?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Notice how the wrap goes to the edges on the rood panel. If you do this in the middle of the hood, it will look like a cheap sticker due to it being "raised" if it were painted into the car then I think it would look pretty cool, otherwise it will look like a sticker.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Cool, if you clearcoat over it and bury the edge of the stripes with clear.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Do you have a domed or cowl hood? that sticker might follow the contour initially but after a while it will probably become un-stuck in the low areas around the dome.
It would probably work on a flat hood but the stripes don't look very good on a flat hood.

LK

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is going to be a 4 inch cowl induction hood

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
does your friend have access to a computer program to see what it would look like in different colors and different style stripes? i know some around me can print some off for a small amount $$ before you pay for the decal and labor and then not like it,should look good if you get the right stripe/color combo. also i read depending on the size of the stripe it may need to pieced together.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
It is going to be a 4 inch cowl induction hood

That will be tough to do and make it look good, Even if you could get it to conform ti the corners the CF look would be destroyed by all of the streching required to get it to lay down.

LK

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, i think you guys are probably right about the edges and contours, thanks for your inputs,

I'm still doing my console and dash pieces tho :D

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
They might look cool but would make no sense since carbon fiber cannot be laid into a metal surround, the whole hood maybe? I work with vinyl overlay and the good real looking carbon fiber vinyl is serious bucks per yard and doesn't like to mold into rises and contours of a hood.

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
This thread is 2.5 years old. MAybe ask what it turned out like????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts