Crane Gold Race Roller Rockers
Edelbrock Victor Jr intake
850 Holley Double Pumper
March Pulleys and alternator bracket
Moroso oil pan and Melling pump
Sfi flywheel GMPP balancer
long water pump
All Fasteners are ARP fully studded

Motor has 1300 miles on it and it is complete minus distributor, its in the car and can be heard running

Selling it for $4250 OBO new motor is almost ready

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
that's a pretty rough cam for a street car. Have you heard it idle? Pretty good money for a stock head engine. Not long ago I would have said that's really top dollar, but now things are more expensive. Might not be that bad a deal. If it's in a car you might be able to stand behind it while they crank it up, see what comes out the pipes.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Havent heard it idle. Figuring out if I should bother. Been mulling this over in my head on what to do... 190hp 350 leaves a lot to be desired :D I cant even sleep.... BB SB 383 454 505 468 350/supercharged/turbo... The list goes on and I am trying to keep it where I am not working on it all the time. At least its nice being a 4 spd 'vert.

I have about 5 posts since I have owned the car about 383 454 bb conversion lol im losing it..... :thumbsup: That and being a relative noob to all this. I can wrench and read instructions :D Built my 93 cherokee but never did any engine work ever.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thats alot of engine:thumbsup: But remember with this much motor your th350 trans wont hold up for long...So your gonna need a th400 or eqivelant. Then comes the axle... Remember to budget some money for the rest of the car... I really think a mild 454 will suit what your looking for.... For less money too

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Andrew,
As Tom mentioned...that's a lot of cam. Gonna require a higher TQ stall and more gear in your car. Out goes any hope of fuel economy.
Also with that cam, I'm wondering what the CR is...I know the pistons are 10.5 but wonder what the true CR actually measures. If it is in the low/mid 10, you could always swap out the cam for one more street friendly.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Pitbully,, sounds like a good engine for you to buy for your ,"4-SPEED" conv. It will not tear up your th-350 because you have a 4-speed,, you will not need a new converter, because you have a clutch,, you will really enjoy the cam with the stick shift,, and you can put it in the car with out having to work on it 7 or 8 years while consulting a weedgy board,,",, I would make him an offer with cash in hand,, start about $3000.00,, after hearing it run of course,,,, LJ

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
West Carleton Automotive.

Here is whats left locally without going into the yards

1981 BBC, 454, 150,00km, complete with accesories, all stock, original. Runs well, good oil pressure.
This was pulled from a 1 ton truck, but is the car motor (not the tall deck from the RVs).

454 block , heads , cranck never bored old nikle block.

So if I look at an engine running what should I be looking for? Sweet smell from exhaust, black smoke, lifter noise, try to get it compression checked, am I missing anything?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Food for thought. I have the XE284 in a 496 (2 drops from that one) and it was just enough cam where after the first pump on the power brakes I was Fred Flintstone stopping the car.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Pitbully,, sounds like a good engine for you to buy for your ,"4-SPEED" conv. It will not tear up your th-350 because you have a 4-speed,, you will not need a new converter, because you have a clutch,, you will really enjoy the cam with the stick shift,, and you can put it in the car with out having to work on it 7 or 8 years while consulting a weedgy board,,",, I would make him an offer with cash in hand,, start about $3000.00,, after hearing it run of course,,,, LJ
i say good advice !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.