Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to shoot my '65 myself. I've settled on shooting it in single stage black urethane (thanks to everyone from the other thread for the info and help!). Now, I need to settle on the paint. I've read a bunch of different things about brands and color codes, but I'm looking for "fresh" opinions.

My local shop sells Omni MTK (which I've sprayed myself on a little project and didn't love AND I've read it's pretty much crap). They also sell PPG's DCC Concept which I've read is fantastic...and at $333/gal + $112 for the hardener, it better be! I don't mind spending a little extra on a quality product if it makes sense. I guess my question is 2 part:

1. what brand and paint code do you LOVE in single stage black for getting the deepest, shiniest, black?

- on the DCC: I read somewhere that the DCC 9300 black is MUCH blacker than the DCC 9000 black. I don't see anything here that explains why: https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProductCatalog/ViewProductListing.aspx?BrandID=5d7b4ed7-f83a-4469-b68c-04551702a5df . Anyone have experience with this?

- ignore the above. I just got the answer. The 9300 is called triple-black and has a higher carbon content so it's a deeper richer black.

2. knowing that this isn't going to a showroom finish due to my skill level with auto paint (very novice) and the quality of the existing body work (pretty darn good...but not perfect), does it make sense to spend $500 on paint and hardener or should I save the pennies and buy something less expensive that is going to be just as nice in the end? At some point, the law of diminishing returns has to kick in. The questions is, at WHAT price point/brand?

Once more, thanks to everyone! :beers:

· Registered
4,834 Posts
A cleaner black will have some blue mixed into the paint. The dirty looking blacks have brown mixed in. The Omni black is very dirty, you can flat out see the brownish tint to it.

IMO House of Kolor has a nicer black then PPG's 9300.

If you want the deepest looking black, apply 4 coats of SS black allow to cure. Come back and block it with say 600 grit and apply 3 coats of clear. Top coating SS with clear adds depth.

· Registered
877 Posts
Everyone has their own preference on this stuff but I've used Dupont most of my life. For single stage black I use their Chroma One line. 99G is black. Not cheap but it lays down very nice. I've done 4 black cars in the last 5 years, no clearcoat, and they have turned out beautiful and still look like the day I finished them. 4 coats, cut and buff, that's it. I'll be spraying a black `65 GTO next week with it.

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks skylark. What does the dupont stuff cost typically? Wanna come shoot another 65? :rolleyes:

· Registered
353 Posts
i agree with skylark. been painting with DuPont for years. single stage black too me is much nicer and more black (if you will) then a B/CC black. wet sand and buff, don't look back. sometimes the clear seems to take away or milk out the true color, takes away from the richness.. my .02, Jim

· Banned
4,542 Posts
U-Tech 3.8 SS. Never gets any mention on these sites. Shot by a shop owner I know. I've shot a lot of Concept in twenty years and this is reportedly just as good and less expensive. Want to know more? Go to Refinish Network, guys that spray it often are there.

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Can I buy utec or dupont online if I can't find a retailer locally?

· Registered
1,092 Posts
I am a big fan of single stage paints, especially black. We just finished up a paint project we were working on, not a Chevelle, but either way came out very nice.

We used SPI single stage 2 gallons ($200 a pop) but covered everything with 4 coats. Door jams, under trunk, hood etc and this is a big car :) Sprayed and covered great. We used a Warwick 904 LVLP (Iwata 400 copy) layed down very nice, better than most paints i have used in the past and the color is deep black even in bright sun.

Please do yourself a favor and consider spending more for a quality material, it will lay down better and cover more than a value line.

Nice looking GTO, I like the U-tech line. My Chevelle is painted with single stage Glasurit and it has been on since 1989.

Pics of the Lincoln

Attachments

· Registered
82 Posts
I was a line painter in a Mercedes,Porsche/Audi,VW and BMW new car dealership for twenty two years,until I opened my own body shop,and have sprayed Glasurit since 1982.And still do,everyday. IF you want a urethane single stage finish with one to two passes with the gun,then Glasurit Line 22 is the paint. Is it hard to spray? NO Is it cheap?NO.But it will last longer than your car,for sure.

· Registered
82 Posts
OK. Check to see if you have a Finishmaster store in your area.They are a paint-body and equipment jobber,and have something like two dozen stores throughout the United States.They sell all major paint brands.Or look for your nearest BASF jobber,they own the Glasurit brand.Good luck and I can help you with any questions if need be.

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny, I just found out we have a finish master 10 minutes from here! I'll call shortly and see what they have. It's typically very humid down here and will likely be in the 90s outside and probably hotter inside where I'm spraying. Do I need to do anything special with that paint (different additives)?

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so here is what I found from FInishmasters:
- Dupont Chroma 99G
* $391/gal + $94 for the activator + $74 for the reducer

- Dupont Nason Line is $113/gal

they don't sell the Glasurit except for the 55 line which is only BC/CC.

Anyone have experience with the Nason line SS Black?

so, the question is are the DCC Concept ($475 for everything) or the Dupont Chroma ($570 for everything) worth the difference over the Nason (about half as much)?

· Registered
82 Posts
Tell the guy at the counter you want two quarts of 22 1250 and a quart of 929-93 normal hardener and some 352-91 reducer.If they have Glasurit 55 they can get you 22 line.Mix 2:1,then add 10 % reducer and have at it,spray right over the 600 grit sanded primer with no sealer.

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for sticking with me. She was pretty clear that they don't do anything but the 55 because "nobody buys the Glasurit lines anymore." I'm heading down there tomorrow and will talk it through then.

I assume the 22 1250 is the SS Black, right? That 2:1 yielding 3 sprayable quarts is going to be enough to do the entire car including the jams, under hood and deck lid, account for my novice skill level, not to mention getting it REALLY black and having enough material on the car to be able to wetsand imperfections if needed?

· Registered
82 Posts
Nobody buys the Glasso lines anymore?What she means is; it is high end refinish product and basically only your higher end shops use the whole system and probabley almost no usage by the hobbiest.That store can get Line 22 very quickly.All they have to do is ask.Get three quarts if you feel more comfortable,but this means another can of hardener,maybe they still sell it in pints.But a thicker finish does not necessarily mean a better one.Yes,the 22 1250 is the single stage.On my shop mixing bank I have 22M26,which must be mixed 4:1 with 22M0 Mixing Clear.The 22-1250 is packaged with the two products together.I would definatley spray the edge-in stuff first to get a feel for the product,good air pressure is the key,as this is a very high solid content and it needs to be broken up before it hits the surface.Properly applied,Glasurit has almost no post flow,so to a certain extent,put it on the way you want it to look. Good Luck.

· Premium Member
395 Posts
The "higher end" paints do have better gloss retention and lifespan, but if you take care of your finish, and can keep inside the mid range paints do just fine. My car hauler is SS Nason, been painted about 6 years, its true "black" (no brown tint) and is very easy to spray, cut & buff, also easy to repair if ever needed. The vette was done about 18 years ago, its acrylic enamel and is showing some age, but its had the hell ran out of it.. LOL!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.