Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a 1972 Chevelle SS with a 350 engine. The car is a cream puff, with new interior, paint, mechanically excellent, numbers match, build sheet, etc. However, it has a 350 engine with 4 sp tranny. How does this affect the value or desirability of the car since it has only max of 175 hp, compared to the big blocks?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
just remember that you could only get a 396 in the 72 ss so finding one may be hard, if this thing is a creme puff i'd just leave it alone well maybe a few tricks to engine that could be restored if need be just my $0.02

------------------
Current picture of car in paint shop members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle2.jpg John Krenn
Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
berry,
I think any ss car is desirable,72 350 ss are very fine cars!of corse a big block example would be more desirable,but the # match,you say its very nice,and its 4-speed.being a 4-speed makes it desirable to me!joes right,72ss came with 307-454.go for it! 67rat member #199

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
On paper, it may sound like a weak engine (175 hp), but in '72 GM went from lenient "gross" ratings the stringent "SAE net" ratings. Also, due to insurance concerns, many of the '72 GM engines were underrated (even for SAE net standards).
That motor is basically identical to the '71 L48 that was rated at 270 hp.

You don't see many legitimate original '71-'72 SS-350s any more. I'd leave it alone (except for some fine tuning like exhaust, tweaking the QuadraJet, and optimizing the advance curve).

Dan Carr
Team Chevelle Gold #11
[email protected]
See the GM A-Body fleet at:
http://www.rmi.net/~dcarr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx to all for the help. I have determined from a visit to the car that it was a clone - See my other BB update for details.
I passed on the car and today bought a '70 SS (this one is documented via Build sheet) with matching #s and 396 with TH400. It needs some work as the paint done 2 yrs ago was not prep'd properly and has lots of bubbles in the paint, and has some bondo and roof seams which need repair.

As far as the 72 convertible, Even though it was matching #s, and a cream puff body wise, I just felt that I wanted a REAL SS and it was a lot of money for a clone.

So thanx again to all who helped me with their input. I've learned a tremendous amount in just 2 days!! Enough to distinguish a clone from a real SS and hopefully enough to have NOT paid too much for the '70 SS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.