Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a little restoration on my 70 SS 395 Elco and want to replace the gas tank. OPG has two versions: W/EEC and W/O EEC, and also Zinc plated and Nitern steel galvanized. Questions:
1. Prior owner removed charcoal canister and lines, and existing tank has the three vents at the top plugged. I'm using a vented gas cap. Is there any reason why a new non vented tank wouldn't work? Would you buy the EEC version tank and cap the three vents and just use a vented cap just in case you ever wanted to convert back to charcoal canister? Should I get the vented anyway and try to vent the tank through those outlets instead of the cap?
2. Does anyone know who makes the tanks OPG sells (zinc plated version is said to be made overseas and is $122, and the nitern galvanized version is said to be made in US and is $190).

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Jeff FWIW I ordered a SS tank for my 69. The SS tanks were so far on back order I settled for a non SS. When I got it it would not fit between the frame rails. The problem area was at the four corners where the two pieces weld together and they were not folded over enough. I sent the tank back and finally got the SS. and it fit good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike. Did you buy your tank at OPG? By SS do you mean stainless steel? I'm not sure which one at OPG would be the SS tank you refer to.

By the way, I see you have a TKO 600. I'm thinking seriously about getting a TKO 500. I like to shift, would love the overdrive gear, and my Elco could benefit from the lower 1st and 2nd gears!

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you willing to dig DEEP into the penny bank, Ricks Tanks are probably one of the best fitting aftermarket stainless tank out there. Sumped,baffled, plumbed and even fitted with intake Aeromotive or GM HP pump for EFI, or plumbed and fitted with correct ohm tank sensor if you so desire. Had one built for my 67 Camino project. Pricy nut have to say, the best I've seen so far. Had another built for a EFI Hemi Superbird. Fit like a glove!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Whatever you decide, make sure to ask if the item is in stock or not . I waited 6 months for a moulding I ordered that was not in stock. They did not tell me it was on backorder!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hi Mike. Did you buy your tank at OPG? By SS do you mean stainless steel? I'm not sure which one at OPG would be the SS tank you refer to.

By the way, I see you have a TKO 600. I'm thinking seriously about getting a TKO 500. I like to shift, would love the overdrive gear, and my Elco could benefit from the lower 1st and 2nd gears!
Yes I bought it / them from OPG. Yes SS = Stainless steel.
If you go to a Tremec You will have to cut the floor. I am sure the OD part will be cool. I just need to the dam car together.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I have a '68 Elky and I retrofitted a later EEC tank in. I do NOT have the charcoal cannister and it is absolutely not required to run the later tank. What IS required is the small vent tank above the fuel tank. But where this vent tank connected to the vacuum line to the front, just run a rubber hose with a paper element fuel filter in the end. That will breath and keep the bugs out.

This later tank and a sealed cap are much better than a non-vented tank and vented cap. The vented caps can/often leak on right hand turns as gas sloshes up the filler pipe. This is absolutely not a problem with a sealed cap and vented tank.

The other thing you may want to consider with a new tank is to whack off the end of the filler pipe and replace with the end from a Chevy pickup. The old big tube regular gas fillers just don't work very well with todays skinny little unleaded gas pump nozzles. This forces you to have to stand there and hold the darn thing into the tank while you fill up. Replace the end with later style and no more standing there bent over holding the nozzle in. Good stuff :thumbsup:

If you search for "MU-2021" you can find some pictures showing what I did to my tank.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice Steve. I think the best thing for me to do is to drop the original tank, turn it over to see if rusty gas runs out, and, hey, if its not rusty I'll just clean it up. But I will connect all three of those "vent" "EEC" out lets into one hose and connect it to a paper fuel filter. Or maybe just cap off two of the three outlets and vent the other. Would it matter which I used for a vent? Then of course put on a sealed cap, new straps bolts and pads. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
It does matter which vents you hook and *how* you hook them up.

The two outside vents run only to the front corners of the tank. The center vent runs all the way to the back in the middle. Thus the vents form a triangle of vents in the tank. They do this so that at least one of the vents is non-submerged at all times.

Then they run all three up into a small tank over the gas tank so that any liquid that flows up one can run back down the other. This tank is also located to get the most advantage of height possible. The result is a tank venting system that will not dump fuel under virtually any condition of tank fill and parking/driving angle. Well certainly any typical condition ;)

You are on the right track with the rust factor. The Elky tanks are open on top and accumulate the dirt of the ages up there. That dirt layer captures and holds moisture against the tank and that is where they rust. I picked a flake off the top of mine to find a hole staring up at me. Stuck a wire in and it went all the way through. Hmmm... maybe that was why I smelled gasoline sometimes on right corners. I did a POR-15 coat on the top of my new tank before installation to avoid this problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Steve. I bought a new EEC tank today from OPG. When you mentioned the 'little tank' above the gas tank, are you referring to that little white plastic connection that's about $29, where you connect two of the vent lines to it, then one line out that normally goes to the charcoal canister? Did you use one of those little white plastic pieces? What if I just skipped the little tank gizmo and just connected the three vents to a gas filter, maybe mounted as high as possible say on the filler pipe? Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Actually the EEC tank is more of a rectangular black or dark grey plastic with 4 connections to it. Of the lower connections two are 5/16" and one is 3/8". It clunks when you shake it so I presume it has some kind of shutoff float in it. It mounts on the crossmember over the center of the tank using two bolts and a bracket.

You could probably make up something yourself. I would probably use about a 1' long piece of 2" PVC with end caps. Run a small line into each end on the bottom and a large line into the middle on the bottom. And finally a small line into the top center. Probably easiest to do using a straight line from the end extending inside to the middle. Epoxy the lines into the PVC.

This is probably not quite a good as the factory part... but pretty close with the major exception of not having any kind of roll over shutoff valve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts