Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Operation “Big Red One” has commenced. My son and I started this project when he was 16. We rebuilt the entire suspension, underbody, and frame. My son worked fast-food after school and usually contributed at least half his paycheck to the project. However, with the arrival of my grandson four years ago, priorities changed. Now 21, he has recently been deployed overseas. I have taken on this mission to complete what we started together almost six years ago.
My mission is to install a recently acquired LS3 into his 1970 Chevelle before he gets back. I have less than a year to complete this task. That may sound like a long time, but it isn’t. Especially when you are waiting on the aftermarket for parts. My plan of attack is to max out all of my credit, and to spend countless hours in my shop working.
Highlights of the build include a new Red w/Black stripes paint job and black vinyl top. Edelbrock or Procharger for that little “Kick”. 4L60E transmission, Cruise, Power windows and Locks. Keyless entry and remote start. Leather heated power seats and air conditioning.
All advice and prayers are appreciated. Support our Troops! John

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Good luck! What are you doing suspension wise?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suspension is already done. Rebuilt with poly bushings, crossdrilled and slotted rotors. 1 1/4 front swaybar. Rebuilt 12 bolt posi w/3.73s, 1 1/8 rear sway bar, and traction bars. Nothing fancy, just slightly better than stock.

I have to do something to keep myself busy for the next year and this is a great project. Im trying to get done before SEMA, but that may be streching it a little. I hope to have it done for sure for the coming home ceremony next year. Power Tour next year is also a goal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought i would update my progress. The body shop put me way behind. Car was supposed to be out by Sept 1st. Well hello Dec 1st and the car needs to be re-polished. I am going to take it to my first choice shop, not back to this guy. Needless to say SEMA was out of the question. I just got the engine back in the car this evening. I have the front seat brackets welded in and i am currently working on the back seats. Dash with all new gauges is ready to be put in. I am also having trouble locating the cooler for the supercharger. There isnt much room in front of the condensor. My son is due back next week and im disappointed that it isnt completed, but, the most important thing is hes coming home. We have a lot of work ahead of us on his leave. My son-in-law has been overseas a few months and is due back this summer. Will be nice to have them both back home. Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Heres a few pictures on the progress.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
:beers:Wow!!! That's like turning a turd into gold bullion. Looks really nice.

The Vintage air is going to keep that cool ride cool.:yes:

I've been toying with the idea to do a similar project with a Chevelle or Camaro.

I've got the Pro touring bug eating at me 24/7.

Glad to hear your son is coming back soon. Now you can have a little father son time to get that thing completed. I'm sure he's really going to appreciate it.

Thinking about my dad and the cars we built...well, puts a tear in my eye. That man loved me and I love him. Thanks DAD!!!!:beers:

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
This is exactly what I want to do with my 70. Is the ls3 out of a 10 Camaro? What tranny are you running and what motor mounts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dutch. It really isnt a Pro touring car in my sense because the suspension is stock, except some really big sway bars. The reason for the engine, LS motors are very stout, reliable, and fuel mileage friendly. Our 69 Camaro has a 355 and Quadrajet that gets 16 hwy.

chevy111, yes its out of a 10 Camaro, 340 miles on it! Tranny is a 2008 4L70 from a Sierra. The motor mounts are homebuilt BRP style using Energy Suspension bushings and some pipe.

I forgot that a cowl hood has the metal come down to seal around the air cleaner. My El Camino has an SS hood that isnt made that way. I had planned on putting the hood on today, but maybe tomorrow. Im pretty sure it will clear, if not, die grinder.
We have a date for my sons arrival, and will soon head out to pick him up. Cant wait for him to see it.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Is it a flapper hood? I have seen a guy on here who made a custom air cleaner that adapted to the SS hood and was functional. It was pretty cool. If its an original hood don't cut it up they are getting harder to find and are worth quite a bit. Any cutting to fit the transmission? So did you pick the while setup together? I see them on eBay a lot. I might get an ls7 since blueprint is now offering them through summit racing.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I have the same thing. Its an overlay. Covan's thunder road.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Go with the motrem. I don't really like mine. Its a ton of cutting and gluing to get it on. The motrin. Is pretty much bolt in and not much more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
cool.. thanks for the info on that... i'm thinking of using fiberglass on my original dash since it kinda beat up and cracked in a few places. then smoothing it out and painting it. i do composite and structual repair on aircraft in the Navy so i got access to the good stuff!!! but i got lots of sheet metal to learn how to do, since aircraft repairs are way different!!! figure if i can make a multi-million dollar aircraft fly i can fix my junk!!!

sorry to the OP for the hi-jack, but i got a 70 that i would love to do this to build too, only exception would be making it a manual!!! but still is a very nice build and with 20 years in the Navy i know all to well about being deployed too!!!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
That car is looking fantastic. I'd be happy to come home to that and in that state and be able to help finish it up. Great work!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chevy111, No, its not an original, its a Goodmark, and it fits pretty well though. I saw the same thread with the intake setup. I would love to do something similar, but i dont think i have the room. Im gonna try a cold air type setup in the passenger fenderwell. I bought the engine from Don Hardy and the tranny from a salvage yard in Washington.
I bought the BRP kit and couldnt get the engine and tranny to fit to save my soul, for 600 dollars it should drop in. I beat the crap out of the tunnel trying to get it to fit. I ended up cutting an H and adding some metal to make it fit. I built my own mounts, modified the tranny crossover and it fits great. I didnt like how high they had the engine sitting also. I did have to heat up a spot where the trans lines go, because they where hitting the tunnel. You have to put the lines on before stabbing the engine and tranny, because you cant get to them afterward. Hope the dont leak!
I wouldnt mind a stick, but you have to perform an autopsy on the tunnel to get them to fit, i wanted to use the stock console.

The dash insert is the Thunder road. I hated it at first. A lot of cutting for an expensive piece of plastic that should fit when you get it. Scary cutting into it after spending that kind of money. I have the vents that has the close off lever and had to cut it out between the vent and the wiper control. I didnt glue it, I put two screws in it on each side of the column and several along the bottom into the steel. and the ones that go into the dashpad will hold it.
I bought the LED lights for the other indicator lights. I had to put resistors in to dim them, I hate a bright highbeam light.
I cant wait to post the seat pictures, but im not finished with them quite yet, so you will have to wait.
Heres a picture when i finished trimming the dash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hers the tranny lines before installation. I went with 90s and they fit pretty good, i dont think 45s would have worked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the reveal wasnt quite like TV, Its not finished. But thats OK, my son is home on leave and we are putting it together like it was intended.
I had hoped he could come home when he got back to the States, but they wouldnt let them. We spent several days together after they came home. Last Friday, he came home for a month leave. We stayed up late to show him the car. I have countless boxes full of parts to be installed. We have made good progress this week. Plan on trying to start it this week.

The beast is coming together.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Started the sound deadener in the cab, mounted the computer and then the Vintage Air.

Got the fuel tank in also.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
No cutting to get that tranny to fit? What's the difference between the 4L70 and 4L60? I have read the 4L80 is a much stronger transmission but due to size you have to cut the floor. Did it bolt directly to the engine or did you use an adapter?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts