Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a 10 bolt open rear with 2.73 gears. I did a search and saw differing views on the benefits of a posi rear. What I want is to increase my straight ahead, off the line traction. Is switching to a posi rear going to give me that much of a difference?? Will I get more grip off the line?? Also, I am building up a strong 350 cu in, and my guess is that more power going to the rear wheel would be better applied through both wheels instead of one. All words of wisdom are welcomed. Thanks.

------------------
1971 Malibu
(350 cu. in.)
1994 Cavalier Z24
(3.1L V6)
BOWTIES FOREVER!!!

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,698 Posts
In a word, yes the posi will double the available traction. As the rotating torque of the driveshaft tries to rotate the differential housing the opposite direction, it tries to lift the right rear tire (in a forward gear), lessening the weight on that tire. With an open rear and enough power, with equal grip, the right rear will go up in smoke while the left rear just rolls along for the ride. With a good posi, the application of power to the posi case via the ring gear locks the clutches inside the posi and applies power equally to both rear tires, yet allows the clutches to slip enough under low power for the wheels to turn at different speeds when going around a corner. Either both will spin or traction by both may be enough to prevent spin. Your 2.73 ratio won't set the world on fire though. Starting off in 1st gear with a 2.73 is like starting off in 2nd gear with a 3.73 rear. If you can swing it, install at least a 3.31 ratio with a 3 series posi for decent performance.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS Murphy's Law is always in effect

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would certainly be upgrading to a 3.55 or 3.73 ratio. Thanks for the info & advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
dude, you have to put posi on there, you dont know how many mustangs ive wasted that dont have posi, you dont want to lose to a mustang do you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.