Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
I am interested in converting my open rear end 12 bolt in my 66 SS to positive traction. The numbers on the rear end are "KJ 0928", according to my "Chevrolet by the Numbers" book this is a 66 355:1 12 bolt. I verified this by counting the teeth on the ring gear and pinion.

I looked in Jegs and Summit and they seel (Auburn???) positraction units. I wanted to see if any of you have undertaken this type of project before and what suggestions you might have. I want to reuse my ring gear and pinion if possible. What all should i consider for replacement (e.g., axles, seals, bearings, C-clip eliminators, etc...).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ken Jett

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
AFAIK, all limited slip diffentials require replacing the carrier. This entails removing the ring and pinion. Resetting the backlash isn't for the faint of hearts.

Eaton seems to be the most popular, rebuildablity and durablity are the most stated reasons.

Auburn has a less loyal following.

Another path is a locker. PowerTrax make their Performance Locker. It is a simple bolt in. I installed one last week. After about 175 street miles and 4 passed down the 1/4 mile, so far, no problems.

Just another avenue to explore. BTW, you don't touch the ring or pinion. Axel and bearing replacements are your choice.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 08-22-99).]

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think if you are going to use your existing gears, you will not have to do anything with the pinion gear since it should already be set. Buy a carrier and bolt your ring gear on it and set the backlash.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. How difficult is it to set the backlash? I've heard that some of the newer installation kits include a marking compound instead. Anyone have any experience with this method?

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The backlash is set by using the marking compound and installing shims on either side of the carrier, depending on which way it need to move. Using the compound, you can see the contact area, it sould be centered in the tooth. Look in a Chilton manual, they normally have a section that shows correct patterns.

------------------

·
Registered
35 Posts
KJETT,if your already happy with your gears I would seriously consider a locker from POWERTRAX you can install it in your drive way and ther is no need to remove the carrier.On top of all that it is supposed to work better than a limited slip because it completely locks up when you mash the pedal in a straight line then un-locks when turn corners.This makes it perfectly street friendly.Just a suggestion.P.S.its alot cheaper too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.