Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My company is putting together a list of aftermarket diffs and one of our R&D engineers ask me a question. He found that early production chevelles used a 8.2" drop-out style diff and then some where along the way it was replaced by the 8.5" 10 bolt pattern. Could anyone provide some info on this topic?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What I have found is that '72 down cars had the 8.2, I haven't seen one personally that had a 8.5 in it.I have 2 ' 72 parts cars, and my ' 72 Malibu right now, and all have 8.2's in them.As I have read in the fine print of many ads. "Your results may vary".

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
The last drop out that Chev had was 64 full size, not in Chevelles. Although the VERY early Chevy IIs had a drop out, and I am not familiar with them. Maybe that is what he is thinking about. The 55-64 Chev and 56-62 Vettes had the same style drop outs and I am very familiar with them. The early drop outs were 10bolt and 8.2, but totally different from the later 8.2s. The early drop outs were a very good rear (until the 425hp/409 came along).

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.