Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally made up my mind and I went with the Merlin engine today. I entertained the thought of going with the 540 for $1000 more, but I stayed with the 509.
I am getting pretty escited about this! I need to change my username here to BB something.
I will be ordering a transmission on Monday (could not get around doing it today) so hopefully withing the next 3-4 weeks I will have the 2 beasts in.

There had been a lot of questions about the Merlin 509 from others, so here is what I found out so that everyone interested in the motor is aware.

It does not come with a flexplate, or flywheel, or water pump or starter. Motor is internally balanced so a 427-396 flywheel is needed.

They recommend minimum of 1/2" fuel line with all the goodies (regulator, filter, minimum 120 gph pump et cetera.)

It iddles bellow just below 1000 RPM and in their dyno it puts 12" of vaccum. They recommend using vaccum canister (I was going to anyway.)

I will keep you updates with the motor et cetera if anyone else is considering it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Welcome to the dark side...... I can hardly wait to get together when we both have the cars done.......

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

G

·
Hey Yanniz,

The 509 sounds like an excellent buy for it's components & cost. The power output is quite impressive given it's low compression.

The latest Car Craft did a pretty good write-up of that exact engine (June 2001 issue).

I was rather surprised to read this paragraph:

"Induction is handled by Merlin's Proprietary single plane intake, which is actually version 2.0 in the manifold's design evolution. World has taken 1200 cfm (probably meant cc's)out of the intake runner volumes. In the real world, the big block's heavy reciprocating mass and overly large cylinder heads make the engine slow to accelerate when installed in a vehicle-the reduced runner volume crutches the program, improving average drag ET's by at least 0.2 second. Mitchell says the impeoved single plane is also up 3-4 hp @ 2500 rpm, and 15 hp @ 4000 over Merlins dual plane offering."

Given this information, I wonder why World doesn't offer a version with oval port heads, and/or a dual plane intake? Seems to me that would solve the "design" problem, yet give buyers the choice of heads & intakes.

------------------
Malibu Muscle Racing
79 Malibu
Naive...I was.
Skeptical...I am becoming.
Determined...I have always been.
"The only way to fail is to stop trying."

[This message has been edited by Todd Geisler (edited 05-05-2001).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
yanniz, sounds great! I'm semi-considering the same motor for my 70. Did you end up with the hydraulic lifter motor, or go with the solids? What transmission are you planning for it? Sounds like they require an electric fuel pump? Sounds like quite a "crate" motor!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
70Bob,
the 509 motors are build now with the hydraulic flat tapped, the 540s you have an option.

I will be purchasing a transmission from Bruce @ Performance transmissions. I spend a lot of time talking and e-mailing with him the last couple of days and from what I have seen and heard he is the guy. Really impressed with the customer service that I have been receiving from Bruce (he called me at 9:30 PM at home last night to go over a couple of questions and explain some things to me, and we ended up being on the phone for 30 minutes.) I will be getting the 2004R that will be capable of handling the power that the motor puts out. If you are looking for a tranny, I would strongly recommend that you call Bruce first. He has a couple of posts here on the Chevelle Tech the last few days, check them out.

According to World, "mechanical or electric pump does not make a difference only pressure and volume."

I like the potential of this motor, and I am sure I will like what it puts out as a 509. There are no Chevy parts in this motor, and everything that they use is higher quality. I am happy with my decision.

LEt me know if I can answer any other questions. I have been communicating with World for a couple of weeks now, and I have received a lot of info from them, most is on my original post above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.