Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to hook up a internal regulated one wire Alt. My questions is, what do I need to do with the existing External Voltage Regulator? Do I just unplug it or do I need to connect the wires somewhere else?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
You NEED to do nothing. The gen. light will stay on though, I think there are people here that can help you make it go off though. I don't think it is possible to make the gen. light work properly with the one wire alternator. I have a one wire, and the factory generator harness is just unplugged and hanging around looking like it wants to be plugged into something.

chris

[This message has been edited by bulb122 (edited 03-10-2002).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I don't have my Gen light connected currently, I just wasn't sure what to do with the existing External voltage regulator harness

·
Registered
296 Posts
Chris, I have a one wire that I am going to use. I have heard that at lower RPM the car runs on the battery. So in stop and go traffic you are draining the battery.

Have you found this to be true?

------------------
Larry
TC # 1000
66 Malibu - under transformation
My 66 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Larry, I don't really know if technically this is correct about running off the battery at low rpms. I DO notice that after starting the car, the electric fuel pump is running slow, until I goose it once past 1500 rpm or so, then it runs at normal speed. Also, the headlights are slightly dimmer at IDLE, but they brighten up immediately off idle. I have never had a problem draining the battery, and that includes stop and go traffic at night with lights, elec. fuel pump, and electric fans. I can only tell you what I know from my experiences, I hope those of you who actually know how this works will chime in!

chris

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
You know, now that you asked, I don't know what amp rating it is. When I bought the car it had a chrome (yuk) one wire. That one fell apart (don't ask) and I went to the local NAPA. They rebuild alternators right there, and he put together a non-chrome one wire one for me. (and refused the chrome one as a core!!) I don't believe it is an especially high output one. What is a sort of rough standard from the 70's - 60A? If there is any way to check, let me know. I've been searching for a reason to go to the garage and NOT spend money!

chris

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I have a one wire.
When you first start the car, rev it over 1500 to kick in the alt. After that, it's ok unless the rpm falls below 650 or 700rpm.
I like mine.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts