Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my post yesterday I only got part of my question answered. I was unsure what to do with my old external voltage regulator. Do I just leave the harness plugged into it?, or do I need to unplug the harness?, or do I unplug the harness and jump any wires like the cs130 conversion shows? any help would be great...I'm afraid to start the car until I know for sure..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I saw the tech reference but I was unsure if the same procedure would apply with the One Wire install. If I understand correctly, I need to unplug the Voltage Regulator Harness, Then connect the two outside wires, and cap off the two inside wires. If I am incorrect please let me know..

Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
With a one wire alternator the only wire needed is the red B+ wire. You need to connect together the alternator B+ wire, battery, horn relay, and the harness wire that goes to the bulkhead connector much the same as it was before using the fusible links. After that, you can unplug the regulator or leave it plugged in or take it out. Doesn't matter because it's no longer being used.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John, Now I'm really confused!! I am not (currently) using my dash Alt light. Do I still need to hook up the One Wire the way you just described? My main concern at this point is connecting the B+ to the new alt. My problem is what to do with the old External voltage regulator harness. unplug it? I guess I'm just not clear on the complete function of the external Vol. Reg. Where do the wires go, and If I unplug it, will something electrical not work in the car as a result of unplugging it. I'm a little new at the electrical system part of the car, I Just don't want to cause a problem by not completing a key part of this conversion.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"I am not (currently) using my dash Alt light."

OK, true one-wire alternators have no place to hook this up.

"Do I still need to hook up the One Wire the way you just described?"

Somehow you do. The output of the alternator, big red wire, needs to be tied to the battery. The horn relay also needs 12 volts along with the wire that is in the forward lamp harness. This is the wire that goes to the inside fuse block. You can use a junction block or tie a couple of thing to the alternator or whatever. Your choice as long as these 4 things get connected.

"My main concern at this point is connecting the B+ to the new alt. My problem is what to do with the old External voltage regulator harness. unplug it?"

If you want. Doesn't matter if it is plugged in or not. It is no longer needed. The one-wire has a built in regulator.

"I guess I'm just not clear on the complete function of the external Vol. Reg."

To control/regulate the voltage out of the alternator. Newer alternators have built in regulators. Something GM started in the early 70s.

"Where do the wires go, and If I unplug it, will something electrical not work in the car as a result of unplugging it."

Tie them back is one option. Except for the B+ wires, none of the other wires are needed. They don't have a purpose any longer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John, Thanks...I think I understand now. I need to get power (B+) to the Horn relay and to the front lights assembly. This can be done by hooking them to a power block or B+ wire. They do not HAVE to be connected to the Alternator right? Those two wires (horn relay, Light assembly) had me confued on why they were connected to the Alternator

Thanks Again

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not to the front lights. What may be confusing is where the large red wire ties to. Power needs to go to the horn relay but that relay connection also can act as a junction point. A place where two wires tie together. Same idea as a junction block. Four things need to tie together in the front.
1, Alternator large stud
2, Battery
3, Horn relay
4, Wire in the harness that goes to the fuse block

1 - 9 of 9 Posts