Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally about to finish the ground up on my 65 hdtp and would like to change my external regulated alternator to a one wire internal regulator. Can anyone out there tell me in laymans terms how to do this, I am not afraid of wiring but I am not an electrician.
Everything in drive train will be brand new and I hate to be stuck with a 60 amp alternator and antique regulator. The engine is a high dollar 383, 700R4 stage III trans from bowtie and a new strange 12 bolt so why not a 120 dollars more for a good 100 amp alternator.
SSMonte

·
Registered
140 Posts
ssmonte

I did this on my 66.What I got is a new 100 amp internal regulated one wire alternator.
I disconnected the old external regulator and taped off the wires then tucked them up out of site.Then I mounted my alternator and ran the one wire to the battery terminal on the starter and that was it.I have had no problems and the alternator works great !

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I am in the same boat. Difference is I am using an Alan Grove mid mount big block alternator set up on my 67 chevelle and need to mount on the driver side of my car. My current old style chrome 1 wire delco will not fit due to the nub on the back of the housing against the head. Will a CS 130 style fit and also how do I need to wire it? Currently I have an 8 gauge wire running to the battery in the trunk. My car has a new Painless 18 circuit harness.

·
Premium Member
18,161 Posts
I would also make sure you have a good engine to chassis ground.

Chris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts