Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I now this has been brought a million times but I need some help. I have a chrome alternator that was not internally regulated that stopped charging. Now I had it rebuilt and I told the rebuilder to make it a one wire setup and internally regulated. Now he told be that all I had to do was run one wire from the alt. to the battery and it was done. Now in the mornings when its cold it takes about 2200 rpm to get it online and when the car idles it drops to 11.5 volts and at night when I run the headlites or just load up the alternator it will not go above 12 volts even with the engine revved up. but during the day when nothing is on the alt will charge 14 volts with the engine revved up. Oh the external regulator is still in the car and plugged in and the other wires that used to run to the old alt are just put to the side. Is this wrong and causing me the charging problems or is there something else wrong thanks guys.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just bought a 3 wire internally regulated unit. I haven't installed it yet but my reasearch taught me that the situation you are experiencing should be expected. True one wire alternators were not designed for automotive use. When you increase the electrical load by turning on lights, fans, etc the alt cannot "see" the load and therfore will not boost the output. Sensing the electrical load is the purpose of one of the 3 wires. I don't have a solution other than having the unit converted to a 3 wire.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts