Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old external regulator alternator is staring to growl ugly words. I have heard the 1 wire alts. don't charge with little or no load under 1500 rpm.

I saw an ad in CHP for a 1 wire that claimed to charge 42 amps at idle. What's the truth? Have they improved? A Daily driver.

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

·
Registered
138 Posts
The alternators charge the same, the benefit of the one wire is it is self exciting. The output depends on the wiring inside.

------------------

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The self exciting part is what has me worried. Will it excite lower than 1500? I don't think self excitation is such a great benefit if it occurs only above 1500 rpm for a daily driven street car. I sometimes (read daily in the winter) find myself crawling along at night with the lights on on the LA freeways at an idle. In the summer the A/C will be on and the electric will be going. Will this dog hunt at idle?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Dale,
Relax, one wires work just fine on daily drivers. Just make sure you get the right size unit. Check out the Powermaster site (www.powermastermotorsports.com) they have lots of good info on alternators. Get the right size alternator, install it correctly, and you'll never have a power outage. mgg

[This message has been edited by Manny Gomez (edited 10-21-99).]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. After I made that last post I realized my 4 year-old would have said "Dad, you don't have to be so grumpy about it."

Sorry, it was a long hard week. But today I got the bed of the El Camino sand blasted...she'll go to the painter next week. Something is going in the right direction.

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

·
Registered
548 Posts
Heres what happens with a regular system a little jolt is put through the field coils to get it working this happens when you turn the key on.A one wire has this built in to the internal reg.You can build your own just buy a self exciting reg and install it yourself.And yes it will charge at idle.I have been using one on my Chevlle for 4 yrs it is a daily driver summer only...FRED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.