Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Can anyone tell me what mods have to be made to my '68 wiring harness to change over to a one wire altenator? Thanks

Bama

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bama,

I bought a '68 Chevelle a couple of months ago and the previous owner had installed a one-wire alternator. The Gen dash light was working fine until I installed a HEI distributor and stopped using the factory ignition wire.

Frankly, I have no problem with the alternator. I just ordered a chrome 135amp one-wire alternator for $89 plus shipping.

My car will be in the shop until next week. I am installing a 200-4R tranny and re-doing the front end. If you want, I can tell you the wire connections on my car once I get it back.

Theo.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You disconnect the regulator and the small wires going to the alternator. Then, you install the new alternator and connect the heavy red wire up to the terminal on the back. If the alternator is made for a lot more current, you will want to upgrade the wire and maybe add a fusible link or 2 for extra protection. That's about it.

If the alternator has the terminal (many do), you can connect the wire from the idiot light to the terminal so that the light still works. I guess this wouldn't be a 1-wire anymore though.

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts