Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 1970 350 engine I am replacing pan gasket. From a search of prior posts I am told that FelPro makes a one piece gasket, pn OS34509T. However another post indicated that this may have the rounded out part for the dipstick on both side of the gasket. I don't want that. My dipstick is on drivers side. Has anyone found a one piece that has the dipstick moulding on the drivers side only, so it looks like a factory fit?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
The gasket that has openings on both sides for the dipstick has a thick front seal, these are used on 75 and later, plus aftermarket oil pans. I believe the gasket you listed, and need, will have only one cut out for the dipstick.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
We use this gasket on ALL our race motors now and I highly recomend it. It is simple to use and it does not leak! I honestly do not remember if it has the dipstick cutout on both sides or not, but if you do not get any other responses, I will go over to the shop, have a look and get back to you. Failing that, I will get our supplier to look them up in the morning and find out if there is one for a left side dipstick only. Even if there isn't I would still use it and no one would be able to talk me out of it. But... thats me!
Edit. You beat me Steve, and do i ever miss that spell check!

[This message has been edited by bcice (edited 01-13-2002).]

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
I DO NOT believe that this gasket has been changed to fit left or right side dip stick. I have one of these in stock (which I bought several months ago) and it is LEFT side dipstick only. Let me explain why I don't think it has been changed. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 56-74 SB oil pans (and blocks) are LEFT side dipstick only. The pans which were ACTUALLY MANUFACTURED in 56-74 (NOT replacement pans manufactured in later years) MUST use the THINNER front pan seal. The 75-later pans use a thicker front pan seal. When you buy a pan gasket set, some of them include BOTH thick and thin front seals and include instructions explaining how to measure your pan to determine if it is a 74-earlier or 75-later pan. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of the pans for a right side dipstick, plus the 75-later pans for a left dipstick and some replacement as well as aftermarket pans, must use the thick front seal.
Now, with all of that said, the Fel Pro OS34509T one piece gasket is made with the THIN front seal for 74-earlier pans which were ONLY left side dipstick. Therefore, there would NOT be a need to make that gasket for both left and right side dipstick.

Of course, the only 100% positive way to know for sure is to go to your local parts store which sells Fel Pro, and open the box and examine one. I'd bet it will be left side only.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
13,123 Posts

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 01-14-2002).]

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank guys. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I will order the FelPro noted and will post whether there were any surprises concerning dipstick moulded part. Seems like it is exactly what I need. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
VERY!! Good points Tom. I remember a few years back, my son blew his engine and had to put a wrecking yard motor in to try and keep up his points. For one reason or another he had to change the pan. Of course being 16 years old, he started on friday night to have it ready to race saturday afternoon. All ready to go with the trailer waiting and went to dump oil in it. Thin gasket where it required a thick one. ZERO points that weekend.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
So if my block and oil pan were originally sourced from a 1976 Monte Carlo, I probably need the gasket with the thicker front seal and both dipstick cutouts?

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
Mike,
That is correct.
And, in addition, if the one piece gasket with the thick front seal has BOTH cutouts for rt/lt dipstick, the gasket is made in such a way that you can CAREFULLY trim off the un-needed cut out.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Thanks Tom!

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550