Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
67 SS .. horns stopped working ... I replaced the horn relay ...no good ... I believe that the horn buton supplies ground to relay...My questions are, (1) Are horns grounded by virtue of their mounting ... or, is there a ground wire that runs to horns ??? and (2) Does the ground wire on relay ( Which I am assuming is the black plugin on botton of relay ) run from relay directly back to steering wheel, or, does it run to a "junction" ... Can I easily access this wire at base of steering wheel... I want to so some continuity testing and I will try to directly energize the horns tomorrow with a + wire. Thanks in advance for any replies....

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The answer to Q-2

Yes the black wire on the bottom of the horn relay grounds at the horn buttons to complete the primary horn relay circuit. The wire is routed through the forward lamp harness, bulkhead connector, dash harness and the steering column harness. The easiest place to access the circuit for testing is the steering column connector. The column harness, or flasher harness, can be separated at the dash/column harness connector. The horn relay is the black wire on one side of the connector. At the dash harness connector the black wire should have 12V to ground, you can ground it using a jumper wire to test the relay operation. The black wire of the column harness should ground through the horn button.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved ... In tracing the black wire from the steering column to the connector, I discovered that the black wire had been pulled out from the connector. I plug it back in and the horn were a-blazin' ... I guess that was due to me doing other things and not being careful... Thanks guys ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts