Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a Northwest Airline flight from Detroit to Pittsburgh on Sunday night when our plane was hit by lightning! I happened during the desent. We thought sure a bomb went off in the galley area next to the cockpit.

It happened so fast that there wasn't time to freak out or act the fool thank God. The odds of that happening again is slim so I will feel a lot better when I fly home on Thursday.

:beers:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Glad he was watching out for you & the rest of the plane Tom!

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
I was on a Northwest Airline flight from Detroit to Pittsburgh on Sunday night when our plane was hit by lightning! I happened during the desent. We thought sure a bomb went off in the galley area next to the cockpit.

It happened so fast that there wasn't time to freak out or act the fool thank God. The odds of that happening again is slim so I will feel a lot better when I fly home on Thursday.

:beers:
Tom,

Never fear. Here's the part called A "Lightning Discharge Protection Rod, required on A/C:

This Rod relates to the field of lightning protective systems. More particularly, the invention is oriented toward a protective rod discharging electrostatic charges from an aircraft sustaining a lightning strike in-flight.

Se, ya' had nothing to worry about and you STILL have nine lives! :cool:

Happy Flying!:beers:

Respectfully,
John R.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Actually, lightning strikes to aircraft is fairly common...happens a lot more than you would think. :yes:
Glad you "survived" the flight Tom. :thumbsup:

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,756 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't a methane gas explosion in the restroom? :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
With over 3,000 flying hours on my resume I have been hit by lightning in an aircraft 3 times. Once right on the nose, and twice on the fuselage and it exited the tail, blowing off the tail tip light and fairing. Scares the crap out of you no doubt.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Tom,
Maybe it was a message to you to straighten up your act! :D

Seriously, glad it ended up being no big deal and everyone is alright.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Tom, you are living a charmed life. .......No time to act the fool?....you?....please?..... who are you kidding? :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm glad everyone was OK!!

Same thing happened to me a few years ago on a Southwest flight into Dallas Love Field. The plane was hit 3 times in about 5 minutes. After landing they wouldn't let the plane take off until they had it inspected so we had to change planes to continue our trip.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Wow. Nothing like near death experiences to put things back in perspective eh?

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
That happened to us last month on a flight to Minneapolis. The pilot came on right away and said, don't worry folks, these planes are designed to take hits like that. He may be right, but I'm not designed that way.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I feel better now. I fly a lot these days so it doesn't make it easier to board a plane with an unscheduled light show and explosion to enhance the effects.

DJ, I'm gonna pull your ears at CB08, and not the way you think. :D

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
And I'll bet you though going to Pittsburgh was going to boring! ;) Have a Pramanatti Bros sandwhich while you're there!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts