Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 chevelle ss and the driverside backup light not working. I've put a test light to the wire end at socket and I have power there. But no power when I touch the prongs on the socket. I'm assuming socket is bad. I've looked at OPG,yearone,NPD catalogs for just a socket. They don't have. Neither does my local parts store. Does anyone know where I can get a socket? Or, am I going to have to buy the whole harness from the intermediate? Note car is a 4speed and I have replaced bulb twice to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
maybe try cleaning the prongs? Could be rusted or something?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried that. I used some emery cloth on both the prongs and the housing that the socket comes in connection with. I've also put the testlight on the copper connectors that the bulb comes in contact with and there is no power there. Is there anything else I can try?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The wire is directly connected to the "prong". Maybe it's separated or badly corroded at the solder joint. I'd take it apart. You have nothing to lose. If it's one of the spring-loaded contacts, you may be able to push the contact out along with the wire. In that case you'll be able to see what the problem is.

I have replaced bulb sockets with the aftermarket ones I got at the parts store. They're not a "perfect fit", but they'll get your lights going if you have to go that route.

Otherwise, you may have to replace the entire assembly.

One other option, contact M&H to see if they sell the sockets. It won't hurt to ask.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
This is the simplest electrical problem you could have assuming you are not loosing the ground. If you test for power on the ground side and get a light you have an open ground.

If your ground is good and you can make it so with a jumper wire then you just have to locate the open in the wire. If the tip is "cold" but the wire is "hot" back 6" test in the middle and the middle again until you find where hot turns cold. Best idea is just replace the socket.
mark

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Chad, I'll go back and check connections and cleanig everything again this weekend. Mark, if all else fails and I need a new socket where can I get one? I've checked with napa they don't show one and OPG and NPD don't have any either. They have for tail lights not backup lights. Thanks again guys. Wayne

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I got it working. It was badly corroded at the sotter and at the spring connection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts