Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, finally got my 71 Chevelle on the road again after 10+ years. Car was originally a 6 cyl. 2 speed power glide, but now sports a fuel injected 6.0 LS2 with a TKO-600 5 speed. Got the car together Thanksgiving day and drove it from SC to Daytona Beach, Florida to the Turkey Rod run with no mechanical issues (only issue I've had so far is that I've not been able to get the DBW Cruise Control working).
Think I'm going to leave it in primer and drive it until spring so I can iron out any bugs I may have. Car will be Silver, with Charcoal Stripes (match wheel centers) and interior will be White with Gun metal Gray carpet and dash.

Here's a list of some of the goodies I've installed:

2005 Corvette LS2- OE Harness and ECM modified by Current Performance Wiring, Edelbrock Engine Adapter Plates and Headers, Spectre EFI Fuel Tank
Magnaflow 2-1/2 Exhaust System
TKO-600 (McLeod Scattershield, flywheel, 12" Clutch and Pressure Plate, Keisler's Hydraulic Release Bearing Kit)
Front Suspension- SC&C Stage 2 front suspension with Global West Springs, Grand Cherokee Gearbox
Rear Suspension- Global West Lower Control Arms, Edelbrock Upper Control Arms, BMR Fabrication Lowering Springs
12 Bolt Posi with 2.73 Gears....will be changing to a 3.73 in the future
93-97 Camaro LT1 Rear Disc Brakes
DIY Hydraboost Brake System
Electric-life Power Window System
GM power door locks
GM Power Trunk Release
Viper Security System with remote start, window, and trunk controls
American Auto Wire Power Plus 20 Wiring Kit
Wheels- Front 17x8 with 245/45/17 Nitto 555's
Rear 17x 9-1/2 with 285/40/17 Nitto 555's

Attachments

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to finally get it drivable. I've had several other car projects, got married, moved, had 2 boys, and built a shop over the ten year period. Been hard to find the time to work on it and I changed directions multiple times. Started with a 454/700R4 combo (put it in a 70 Chevelle that I purchased and have since sold), had a 402/T-5 combo (sold the 402), had a Gen VI 454 with Pro-Flo EFI and the TKO-600 (Sold the 454 to a friend and it's now in a 70 Chevelle) and finally settled on the LS2/TKO combo.

Did about the same thing with the body color, interior color and seats, and front suspension and wheels. Spent a lot of extra money changing directions.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Nice build. I bet out of all the power plant combinations you like this this best!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Looks really good! What part of SC are you from? I live in Gaston.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Andrew. Nowhere near your level yet....but I'm still working on it. This is the only power plant combo that I have actually got running in the car. The Gen VI 454 was basically ready to fire when I decided to pull it in favor of the LS2....your build thread being part of the reason. Below is a pic of the 454 setup I had in it.

I do have to admit that after driving down to Daytona and hearing all those hot rods with the big cams, it does have me wanting to put something with a little bit of a lope to it in the car...maybe later. I definitely would like to put more gear in it. At 75 mph on the interstate, I was only turning 1700 RPMS. Really won't use the car for anything other than cruising, but with a 2.73 rear, I can easily get up to the 60 mph in just 2nd gear (don't get to enjoy the 5 speed shifting a whole lot) and I think a 3.73 gear would work better in stop-n-go traffic.

I live in Barnwell, SC.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Thanks Andrew. Nowhere near your level yet....but I'm still working on it. This is the only power plant combo that I have actually got running in the car. The Gen VI 454 was basically ready to fire when I decided to pull it in favor of the LS2....your build thread being part of the reason. Below is a pic of the 454 setup I had in it.

I do have to admit that after driving down to Daytona and hearing all those hot rods with the big cams, it does have me wanting to put something with a little bit of a lope to it in the car...maybe later. I definitely would like to put more gear in it. At 75 mph on the interstate, I was only turning 1700 RPMS. Really won't use the car for anything other than cruising, but with a 2.73 rear, I can easily get up to the 60 mph in just 2nd gear (don't get to enjoy the 5 speed shifting a whole lot) and I think a 3.73 gear would work better in stop-n-go traffic.

I live in Barnwell, SC.
Thank you for the compliments. Keep in mind that going to a 3.73 gear will increase your driveshaft speed, which might start giving you vibration issues.

Do you notice any driveline vibrations now? Your car is pretty low and as you might know, the lower you go, the worse the driveshaft angles get on these cars. As driveshaft speed increases, so will the vibration problems.

Andrew

·
Registered
410 Posts
Eric,

Awesome build, perfect cruiser to take you anywhere you want to go. Kinda wish mine was more on the tame side sometimes.

btw...What's the drop on those BMR springs you used for the rear?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andrew, hadn't thought a whole lot about the the increased drive shaft rpm. I did work a lot with the driveline angles. I've got the rear of the trans up as far as it would go without cutting the tunnel for additional drive shaft clearance. Started to do the new tunnel like Troy did, but I figured I'd try what I had first before I cut out the original tunnel. So far, no vibration issues. (I'm really still up in the air about changing the gears. I hate the idea that I'll have to buy a new posi unit, if I want to go up to a 3 series).

At my first gas stop on the way to Daytona (210 miles on I-95... I was a little hesitant to let the Spectre Tank get too low with the possible issues with pump starvation) it appeared that I was getting close to 29 mpg. But I calculated my mileage for the entire trip and averaged a little over 21 mpg.

Far as rear springs, the current springs are 2" lowering springs by BMR (I really like the stance of their 71 Chevelle). Mine is actually a little to low for me...especially when I had my spare, toolbox, small floor jack, and luggage in it on my way to Daytona. I originally had 3/4" lowering springs from Global West on it, but I didn't think it was low enough. I've been looking for a less expensive version of what Andrew put on his GTO (just hate the idea of spending $200.00 on spring height adjusters on the rear). I may put the Global West springs back on it and see if it settles out at a better ride height.

One issue that I encountered on the trip that I don't really understand is clutch chatter. Everything is new....McLeod's Flywheel, McLeod's 12" clutch, and pressure plate. I had to use offset dowels to get my McLeod's scattershield alignment correct. When the drivetrain is cold, I have no chatter. Once it's been driven for a while, I develop clutch chatter. Park it, next day, no chatter, drive it for a while...chatter is back. (Really haven't had anytime to troubleshoot since I've been back).

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Any chance that the flywheel, disk or pressure plate got some oil on them before the install?

Andrew

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any chance that the flywheel, disk or pressure plate got some oil on them before the install?

Andrew
I don't think so. If I remember correctly I cleaned the surfaces before final install. I even made sure I put something on the flywheel to crank shaft bolts....think it was lock-tite, but not sure, to make sure I did get any type of leakage around the threads (think I found the recommendation on LS1tech.com). I did put a new rear main seal in the engine before install also. I've only got, maybe 750 miles on the install, and most of that was the highway miles on I-95. The scatter shield doesn't leave a lot of access for visual inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Some people say try putting some heat into the clutch. If you baby it around most of the time they can start to chatter especially with the 2.73 gears. Try giving it some more rpm and slipping the clutch some to get some heat into it. I have a Textralia puck style clutch and they actually recommend beating on it if it starts acting up.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Mike. I'll try that this weekend.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
That is one clean engine install!

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Looks great under the hood. Totally digging the grey primer look even if its not primer.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks great under the hood. Totally digging the grey primer look even if its not primer.
Thanks. The car will be silver with charcoal metallic stripes (same color as the center of the wheels), when I finally paint it. I'll probably wait until spring to spray it. I figured I'd drive it for a while to work out any bugs.

I'm gathering the parts now to change the gears in the rear. I'm going with a 3.31.

Been trying to decide if I want to paint the inner fenders the body color or just leave them black. I think body color would be nice, but the black would be easy to touch-up with a rattle can if needed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you plan on running a big cam, you might want to rethink the 331s. My 72 has a 6.0 liter with L92 heads and a speed Inc SI5 cam with my TKO 600 and 331 gears. I plan on swapping to 373s in the future to keep the big cam happier in around town driving. If you get the DBW cruise control figured out, please let me in on what it took. I commute 75 miles to work and back every day in the summer and cruise would be really nice to have.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think my plans for a possible cam shaft change will be a little further down the road. Once I do the gear change, I'm going to concentrate on finishing the car. I've still got to get the A/C system completed, finish the interior and paint the car.

I changed the rear springs over the weekend and brought the back of the car up some. I'll post pictures in the next few days.

My new windshield got chipped on the way to Daytona, thanks to a camper trailer kicking up a rock on I-95, so I've got the glass repair guy coming by today to see if they can repair the chip.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts