Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the decks are clean, the head bolts and threaded holes are clean. The heads are painted orange with POR-15, and Fel-Pro 1037 high performance gaskets are in hand, as well as a picture of the torquing pattern. I also have a couple more questions:

1. I tried and tried to keep things clinically clean, but a tiny bit of guck still got in the cylinders (chunks of carbon, gasket crumbs, etc). What is the best way to get them cleaned out before bolting things together? Compressed air? Swab down?

2. The head gaskets go on dry on both sides, no additional sealer (?). But what about on those long runs at the ends which extend up to meet the horizontal face the intake sits on? Nothing there either? Looks like a long way away from any clamping force.

3. A local engine builder says to use Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket in the block threaded holes and on the head bolts. Anyone use that stuff or have a different opinion?

4. The Fel-Pro instructions say to torque everything down, then wait 10 minutes. It says to then loosen bolts one at a time, and retorque it back to the full value, then do the next one until all have been re-torqued. Anyone out there do this?

5. Am I going to be able to get my Snap-On 1/2" drive torque wrench between the AC condensor and the last hole in the head?

Thanks millions.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
gibbons,
as to question # 1. vacuum cleaner.
2. Do exactly as the gasket manufacturer specifies !
3. I recommend GM "Gasket sealing Compound" for the head bolts. I have used it on several engines and never had a problem. Part # for the small can (which is more than you will need), is 12346146 Gr. 8.800
Large can is #1050026 Gr 8.800
4. Again follow the gasket manufacturers instructions to the letter.
5. extensions, deep sockets, and adapters. Try your 3/8" and 1/2" and you should find the right combinations !!
Your welcome a million and 1/2--(inflation).

P.S. When you get to putting your intake on...Do a dry test fit on the intake to see how much space is between the block and the intake. Most people are discarding the rubber gaskets in favor of a 1/4" bead of RTV black. Then....set the intake on...start all the bolts.... and DO NOT tighten. Let the RTV set up overnight and then torque the intake. (12-24 hrs). This gives the RTV a better squish. Engine builders trick !
Best of luck, Nate

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
#1. Either/or. Shop vac or compressed air. I prefer compressed air, but be careful if there still any anti-freeze left in the block. More than once I've unintentionally blown down into a water jacket and took a glycol shower.

Nate covered the rest pretty well.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I have to say...compressed air is not such a good idea. You run the risk of pushing foreign material past the ring(s) and you don't want that. Especially on a new engine. Wipe it out and suck it out best you can. Compressed air will send debris all over the place. And possibly down the holes in the valley of the block !
Nate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.