Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original sales sheet shows my car has the "Spl sus equip" option coded F40. It cost a whopping $4.85 in January of 1965.

I've never really been able to figure out what the F40 package really consists of. I think all the front anti-sway bars are the same on all '65 Chevelles (except the Z16 of course) and all 327/4-speed cars got the addtional rear suspension brace that ties the rear lower control arm front mounting point to the rear upper control arm front mounting point. So what's left?

Is it just slightly stiffer springs? Different wheels?

Any info would be appreciated.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Registered
547 Posts
Good question. I don't have the build sheet for my '69, but I have the order form and window sticker and it shows "special suspension". Someone here said it that was F40 because it wasn't an SS and I didn't have a rear sway bar. Never really figured out what an F40 was.

Sorry to piggyback on your question, but this is a great question!

------------------
JR TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know in later years F40 and/or F41 consisted of stiffer springs, anti-sway bars, larger wheels and tires, etc. But at $4.85 (even in 1965 dollars) in 1965 it couldn't have consisted of much!

I seem to recall seeing in my assembly manual that there were different part numbers for the springs if F40 was ordered but I can't be sure of my memory until I get home tonight. I may have answered my own question, but if anyone else has any insight, please share!

The Z16 package included special 14x5.5 inch wheels that had the center disc RIVETED to the outer rim while standard wheels were 14x5 with the disc welded to the rim. Is it possible the F40 included these special wheels? I've never seen such a reference in any of the documentation I've collected over the years but then that's not always 100% accurate anyway. One of the few things that did not come with my car are the original wheels and caps. The 1st owner hated the SS caps and told the dealer to install chrome reverse wheels before he picked it up. He never got the wheels and caps as far as I know though they likely were shipped with the car.

Does anyone else have a build sheet, POP or window sticker from their '65 with a 327 that may help shed some light? Maybe F40 referred to the required-for-327's rear suspension braces and ordering a 327 just made F40 a required option? Kind of like the L79 required the 4-speed. Not only did you have to pay for the L79 option, you had to pay for the 4-speed as well. Take a look at the sales receipt for my car on my site to see what I mean. Look under the misc. section.

Oh heck: www.geocities.com/ticklewiggle/paperwork.jpg

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

[This message has been edited by Rich-L79 (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Rich,

I dug into this issue while contemplating adding the F41 option to my car. Although mine is a '66 Impala it may provide some insights.

From what I've found, the F40 - or Heavy Duty Suspension, got you nothing more than higher rate springs and stiffer shocks. In your case - likely because of the stiffer shocks, it probably also got the braces.

F41 got the buyer the up rated springs and stiffer shocks (from the F40), a larger front sway bar (in my case the one from a wagon), a rear bar, 6 inch wheels (instead of 5.5's) and wider tires (in my case 8.25x14). I haven't seen anything that indicates the riveted wheels were part of the package so I'm inclined to believe those were reserved for police/taxi applications and the Z16.

The minimal manufacturing cost difference (if indeed any) between the stock springs and shocks vs. the stiffer ones explains the low cost of the F40 option.

Any help?

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Contact Triple A Enterprises, they make up those phony window stickers and have all the information on what each code refers to, etc....Do a search on the web for them and then e-mail them with your question.

------------------
MY 66 SS.COM
ACES # 1493
TEAM # 751
All Chevelles Video available, e-mail me!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think Dan(SS3964sp) is right on this one. My 67 also has the F-40 option. It has no rear swaybar,frame braces, or boxed control arms, and the front sway bar is tiny. I am also pretty sure the parts have not been changed, I still have spiral shocks as well as the original muffler. If somebody knows how to decode them, I think I could grab the codes off my spring tags.

Rob

------------------
Now: 67 Malibu 4-door
283/PG
In 5 years: 69 COPO/427

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Triple A Ent. definitely has the information we all so desire to know about our cars. Not all AAA window stickers are "phony", if there is an implication that they will make up anything a customer wants on a sticker. I had AAA make me up a new one based on my build sheet. Results were nothing less of spectacular IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took a look at my assembly manual and found that different springs are specified when the F40 option is involved so that makes sense. I dug through all my AMA spec sheets and other GM documentation and found no reference to different wheels, other than the Z16 all 65 Chevelle wheels appear to be the same units.

Triple A said the F40 included springs and shocks but I'm still looking for a reference that confirms the shocks are actually different for F40. Could be, I just can't verify it one way or the other.

Any other insight or info is welcome.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Rich
Don't know if this helps but my 66 assembly manual shows a ss with F40 would have only gotten an upgrade on the front shocks,to the same as wagons and pickups. The rear would have stayed the same as the ss and F40 had the sme part #.The F40 did get different springs as you have already found out.

Rene
66_Malibu

·
Registered
24 Posts
If anyone is still interested, my front right spring reads GR, the front left tag is missing, and I don't have time to look at the rears right now. I will have them tommorow.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.