Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I clicked on Joe Hubka's web site link and the question link but it keeps saying not available.

Deos anyone know how to reach him?

I have a 1970 delco radio that says must be used with 8-10 Ohm speakers but all the new style speakers are 4 Ohm.
Joe radio forum says DO NOT NOT USE THE NEW speakers or it will ruin the radio.

Does anyone think that soldering a 4 ohm resister in front of the speaker will give me the same thing as having an 8 ohm speaker??? After all ohm's = resistance.
If I hook two 4 ohm speakers in series I will get the desired 8 ohm's, BUT won't I lose the left right balance??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
No a resistor is simple resistance in ohms. The resistance rating of a speaker is impedance and is a function of frequency and inductive reactance. Both are expressed in ohms but are very different. You can use two 4 ohm speakers in series.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Y.O.and others used to have in their catalogs speakers that would work and fit in the original openings

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Elree, if I do hook up in series will lose laft right balance?

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

Elree, if I do hook up in series will lose laft right balance?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
In each location that originally had 1- 8 ohm speaker you would use 2- 4 ohm speakers in series. It's not very practical. The best thing to do is locate 8 or 10 ohm speakers.

If you are putting them in your dash one thing to be aware of is that big magnets can have an undesirable effect on the factory tach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts