Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
A couple of months ago I bought a 2dr 67 Malibu with a 283 powerglide. At one time it had factory air and still has the Ca. smog pump. When I brought it home it was having some electrical problems (horn, radio,heater fan, didn't work). The car went to the paint shop (steel blue pearl) and is now back in my garage. A circuit test at the battery revealed I had a leak somewhere. I went to the fuse box and found a rusted up mess. All the clips were rusted to the point that the fuses would not come out without breaking. My question is has anyone ever tried using a universal fuse block like the one from Paddock or am I better off replacing the harness? Will I save time and money or am I dreaming?
Your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gene

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I would replace the harness, or if you are handy with wiring get another fuse box from another car and rewire it. Get a good look at the underhood harnesses as well, some cars have been cut up pretty bad over the years. You may want to replace everything.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Some guys have had some luck cleaning the fuse clips with acid. Do a search on ACID.
Me?
If it harness is in good shape, I'd change out the block 'cause I'm cheap. I'd stay away from the universal ones. If I couldn't find a good used one, I would get one from M & H. http://www.wiringharness.com/

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
.....'cause I'm cheap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You & I must think alike, John!

Gene,
I took mine all apart and cleaned it. Cleaned the clips using wire brush and sandpaper. Cleaned the fuse block with Simple Green (downside: removed all the white lettering showing which fuse protected what circuit). Cleaned all the wiring using GoJo - type creme hand cleaner.

I think if your clips are REALLY rusted, to the point that you would have to get them all down to bare metal to remove the rust, you'd better replace them.

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"Life is short; eat dessert first." - Ogden Nash
My low tech web page

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your comments. I think Ill try finding a good used one. Every slot on my block is really bad.
Thanks again,
Gene

1 - 6 of 6 Posts