Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I pulled the trigger on a project bike after getting the bug for some desert exploring. Always loved these old 2 stroke yamahas and really was after a DT1 250 but they were always overpriced imo. Found this DT2, a '72 250, and just couldn't walk away from it. I remember the seller asking me if I was going to restore it, and I honestly hadn't thought about that, just wanted to get it running and have a little fun. You can guess what happened next....got it home, cleaned it, looked at all the weathered and worn parts and just had to give a chance at a second life. Started hunting for some parts it was missing and found a guy an hour away that had given up on 2 similar restos and had just about everything I needed, and NOS, I might add! Got the blinkers, mirror, headlight assembly, rear light assembly, bolt kits, cables, sprockets, all Nos! He also included early takeoff gauges, rebuilt carb, and much more. This has been so entertaining for me, as I have only ridden bikes and never got into the mechanics. Learned a boatload, and had a blast in the process. I'm almost ready to fire it up for the first time in over 25 years!!

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looking good! I’ve got a 72 Bultaco Alpena in my garage. My dad, who adopted me, gave it to me a few years back. My mother and him divorced when I was 11 and I didn’t see him for nearly two decades. He hunted me down after he had a health scare and said he didn’t want to die with me thinking he was a bastard. Some of my fondest memories from that time in my life include that bike. Perhaps I’ll do something with it some day but for now it is exactly as it was thirty plus years ago. I’ll pull it out once in a while and putt around the yard. It sure is different than the CRs I’ve owned, kinda hard to get used to the brake, shifter and kickstart being on the “wrong” sides! I had a 72 or 73 DT 250 back in the day too......my how things have changed! Good luck with your new hobby!

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Just picked up a 1976 Honda Elsinorhttps://www.chevelles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=610608https://www.chevelles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=610608&stc=1&d=1576287101&stc=1&d=1576287101e MT 250

Attachments

·
Registered
14,978 Posts
does a 1977 honda Z50 count? jim

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Brings back memories. I had a Yamaha DT125D, the last version before they switched to Monoshock. I also had a number of Yamaha Observed Trials bikes including a 1st-year TY250A (pretty bike) & TY175C. I was able to get parts from the dealer easily back in the 1980s. I still have the 1984 Honda XL350R I bought new to replace the DT125.

1984 pic of the DT125 the day before I sold it:

I had 5 good years with that one.

The XL350R that I still have with only 21,000 kms (13,125 miles):

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I grew up around all these motorcycles my first job was at my uncle's motorcycle shop in 1977 when I was 13. I used to set up brand new Kawasaki out of the crate. I remember me a 14 year old kid riding brand new thousand CC Kawasaki down the street and back after I put them together and service them. My pit bike at the drag strip is still an old new looking 1980 KX80. My dad had a brand new 1973 Bultaco pursang I used to ride around. Lots of old bikes like that seeing these makes me want to get another one

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're right Gary, the '68 was the first. It was a giant success by American businessmen sourcing Japan to build a bike that they thought would be a great success...and it was. The '68 DT1 was a 1 year only bike, and they had so many iterations within that model year. They are highly sought after, and the '69-'71 DT1s are probably second in the pecking order. The '72 and '73, DT2/DT3 respectively, are IMO, the better bike, just less sought after. In '72 Yamaha introduced the reed valve engine and a host of other advancements. Then there's the colors, each year and size having a unique color. IMO, the '72 is just perfect. The '68 DT1 was pearl white...and if you see an authentic pearl white Yamaha it's probably worth saving. I think Hagerty values them in concours condition upwards of $15k.

·
Premium Member
9,025 Posts
Brings back memories. I had a Yamaha DT125D, the last version before they switched to Monoshock. I also had a number of Yamaha Observed Trials bikes including a 1st-year TY250A (pretty bike) & TY175C. I was able to get parts from the dealer easily back in the 1980s. I still have the 1984 Honda XL350R I bought new to replace the DT125.

1984 pic of the DT125 the day before I sold it:

I had 5 good years with that one.

The XL350R that I still have with only 21,000 kms (13,125 miles):

That 74 Impala in the backround brings back memories of a great car we had.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I started subscribing to cycle world and cycle in 73 when I was 10. I still have all those things. My 1st new bike was a red 73 Kawasaki mc1 90

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice, love the Elsinores and pretty much anything vintage. It seems the late '60s and through the '70s were great times for the bikes. My cousins were big into the Hondas of that era, having just about every size ranging from the ct70 up to the 750four. Taking family trips over there were high on my list. They farmed grass seed and had miles of riding up and down the valley. My uncle had a Rupp mini that kept us entertained when visiting him.
One of my cousins still races a CR450 in the old timers class, at the ripe ol age of 58! He's still flying doubles!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I had half heartedly looked for a DT a few years ago, not sure if I should ride any more.
I wanted that style exhaust with the chrome guard, jut like the neighbor had when I was a kid.
I have a Malaguti Motorik Jr minibike to restore, wish it was as popular as these others mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Lots of memories of the old 'Dirt Days" I had riding an Alpena, couple of Pursangs, a Matador and the El Bandito Bultacos. Had a couple of purpose built hill climbers mixed in too - (a 500+ cc. Velocette and a 650 Triumph) great times in the late 60's thru the 70's in the midwest.

My last motocross bike was the TM400 Suzuki kamikaze bike. It was faster than stink, but nearly uncontrollable when you hit the throttle! Roll it on and hang on.

My heart wants to play in the dirt again, but my 73 yr. old brain says no way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts