Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up a while back at an auction because i thought it looked cool, I know simular ones are used on marine motors ,but was wondering if HP would be lost putting it on a 540 that makes 650 hp with a carb anybody still use one? I know this is old technology but I still think it would look cool under the hood.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Funny, I have a polished one with the throttle body mounting surface angle-milled for hood clearance. Been sitting on the shelf for eight years or so when the project was abandoned. The 58mm throttle body is the limiting factor as far as power potential goes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
GM made 500 hp on a 572 with just a 48mm throttle body, so the 58 mm would help some. Could go with one of the mono-blade throttle bodies, rated at something like 1300 cfm. That intake may limit higher rpm HP, but should make some killer mid-range power. AS&M made some good power with those intakes.

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
I always thought it would make a great street/strip cheaper multiport fuel injection deal but never could find one at a Price I was willing to pay. Also looked at the cutler EFI for that as well passed one up 2yrs ago for less then a grand due to not having the money at the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still doesn't make sense to me if a 58mm is rated at 1000cfm @28" and a 62mm is rated at 1300cfm and 65mm rated at 1500cfm why are they restrictive and You can make 650hp+ with a 850 carb?
looks like the intake could be hogged out to fit a 62mm tbi on it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Still doesn't make sense to me if a 58mm is rated at 1000cfm @28" and a 62mm is rated at 1300cfm and 65mm rated at 1500cfm why are they restrictive and You can make 650hp+ with a 850 carb?
looks like the intake could be hogged out to fit a 62mm tbi on it.
It's not always the TB that is the restriction. It can be the individual runners to the intake ports. What do they flow versus the runners on the carb intake that make 650hp?

I'd put it on the for cool-factor even if it cost hp. (to a point) Interesting that the thottle linkage was moved to the passenger side.

-Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts