Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to add a few bars to the cage. With the help of Pat McNeil and his good and talented friend Mike Saiki I've made the "never gonna happen call" and
have sent the car to have the bar turned into an 8.50 cert cage. A decision I'd never have considered in the past. Anyone who has seen Pat's car knows how nice and clean and sanitary it is. His buddy Mike is a very savvy drag racer and can read a set of rules like no other. When the opportunity came up to have him finish the cage I went for it. Should have the car back by the middle of next week with the cage, window net and chassis cert all intact.
I have no idea where the car will settle in at mostly because it's still a bit heavy as compared to a real race car but it is what it is. Amazing how tough a call it is to do this to an original 138 car. Somewhere near blasphemy really. Lol
Thanks Pat :wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
I wish I lived near talent.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Good call Dan, now you can let it eat and be safer if something were to unfortunately happen.

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh you just had to say that just in case thing. :surprise:
While the possibility always exists, if I feel a wiggle I'm all about lifting. I would like to keep the sheetmetal the color it is. ;)
I haven't any idea what the thing will run but I guess I'm getting closer to finding out. After this gets done I have a couple other things to tend to (going to get the rear axles drilled and tapped for 5/8" studs and then swap the converter and of course pay the NHRA tax for crossing the 10.00 line. Wouldn't it be a beotch if I couldn't do that. We'll see, the 6.43 showed some promise giving the short distance the pedal was mashed.

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Were in trouble then.:smile2:

·
Registered
161 Posts
It can always be cut out later.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Funny how this stuff works..few years ago, I'd have never contemplated a roll bar in my car. Then it ended up being quick enough to need one..and racing these old cars is so much fun..so it got a bar..and it keeps going downhill from there hahaha

It can always be cut out. The way I see it with my car, as long as it is "un-doable" it's okay. And you can go a long, long way with that!

Safety is most important, there's still a bunch of old chevelles out there but only 1 you..

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
8.50 to me doesn't hurt it, just a few more holes and some welding. Not like you are turning it into a pro radial car. Post some pics if possible. Mine is going to get a cage too, its finding more power.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Nice car...

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Time to add a few bars to the cage. With the help of Pat McNeil and his good and talented friend Mike Saiki I've made the "never gonna happen call" and
have sent the car to have the bar turned into an 8.50 cert cage. A decision I'd never have considered in the past. Anyone who has seen Pat's car knows how nice and clean and sanitary it is. His buddy Mike is a very savvy drag racer and can read a set of rules like no other. When the opportunity came up to have him finish the cage I went for it. Should have the car back by the middle of next week with the cage, window net and chassis cert all intact.
I have no idea where the car will settle in at mostly because it's still a bit heavy as compared to a real race car but it is what it is. Amazing how tough a call it is to do this to an original 138 car. Somewhere near blasphemy really. Lol
Thanks Pat :wink2:
If Saiki is doing the work you know it'll be first class. Now, that Pat McNiel guy... mmm, I don't know about him. He's a pretty questionable character, I hear. :D
Original 138 car must mean something, but unless you're going to do a concourse restoration... and that train left the station a long time ago... then just enjoy it. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
If Saiki is doing the work you know it'll be first class. Now, that Pat McNiel guy... mmm, I don't know about him. He's a pretty questionable character, I hear. :D
Original 138 car must mean something, but unless you're going to do a concourse restoration... and that train left the station a long time ago... then just enjoy it. ;)
At least ole Straub still thinks I'm sorta normal. (I think)!

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Of course 138 means something, especially if you have one. Lol
Mike takes great pride in what he does so I had no reservation in letting him do the car. Again, Mr McNeil set up the schedule so kudos to him for his help. I'll relay the compliments from you guys to Mike as I'm certain he will appreciate the words.

Thanks for the compliment Jon.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
The bars are looking great Dan. I really enjoyed snooping around your beautiful car and getting to see all those speed secrets that you never told me about :)

Hopefully it will stop raining next week so you can take her home.

See ya soon sir.

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bars are looking great Dan. I really enjoyed snooping around your beautiful car and getting to see all those speed secrets that you never told me about :)

Hopefully it will stop raining next week so you can take her home.

See ya soon sir.
Speed secrets????? Lmao
You need to give me lessons Sir.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts