Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming it is proper to epoxy primer over seam sealer, but I would just like confirmation. As far as I've seen, people apply the seam sealer to the bare metal and then primer and paint over it. Is this correct? I don't want the paint to chip, even though it will be under the carpet in the interior.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Seam sealer should NEVER be applied to bare metal period.
Apply some epoxy primer first to any metal, then seam sealer. You can topcoat seam sealer with more epoxy, urethane primer, sealer or even base coat.

If you are just seaming some seams, just epoxy and metal seam seal it then spray some sealer over the seam sealer when you are painting the car.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
I use 3m heavy bodied seam sealer. It is a 2 part product and you need their mixing gun to use it but it is alot harder when cured then the original.

is it flexible enough to move with the car as it flex's?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
fast and firm is ok too 3M
The fast and firm is garbage compared to the urethanes and epoxy sealers available nowadays, I wouldn't use a solvent based sealer if it was given to me, shrinkage-cracking-and adhesion failures are typical problems.

3M's Ultrapro urethane is your best bang for the buck, Fusor also makes a good urethane, and transtar and rubberseal. Use Ultrpro urethane MSP if you need a product that is brushable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts